a few questions about a stock convertible strut bar - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a few questions about a stock convertible strut bar
Friday, March 01, 2013 6:23 AM
So, i was at the junk yard yesterday for a new overflow tank. Saw a convertible which was new... Saw the front strut bar, and got a little excited. lol. Not alot of walk-around junk yards in my area, so i thought this was rare for me. Got the strut bar and the tank for $10! sweet deal. Cleaned it up, and put it on my beater this morning. I thought i read somewhere the convertibles had stock rear strut bars too? i looked but didnt see one. maybe i'm wrong though. Do aftermarket ones work any better than stock ones, or is it just the brand name. And when i put this on my Z24 this spring, should i bolt that middle section to the firewall, or does that make much of a difference? If it really doesn't matter, i was thinking about grinding it off, and filing it down, and probably repainting it red.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: a few questions about a stock convertible strut bar
Friday, March 01, 2013 7:06 AM
no rear bar on the verts, only the front. the verts do have added bracing back there though.... probably spot welded in lol

and yes, attach the section that bolts to the firewall. it may not mean a lot of extra support but it will provide some and is worth it.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, March 01, 2013 8:05 AM
I might as well. I mean if a bracket is there for structure, why not. Lol. And when I put it on, it went on with some force. Seemed a tad too long, or my strut towers are bowed in slightly. Is it suppose to go on hard so the strut towers won't budge under stress?

Friday, March 01, 2013 9:38 AM
It depends on the car, I've had one go on easily and had to bend another one slightly to fit.

The stock one is your best option and a rear strut bar can be had on ebay

Friday, March 01, 2013 9:43 AM
Is a rear strut bar really necessary on the rear? All the struts do in the rear is go up and down since theres a dummy axle. does it really even do anything, besides look badass? Lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search