Successful fender roll - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Successful fender roll
Saturday, April 06, 2013 12:56 PM
Has anyone successfully rolled their fenders without ruining their paint?

Im going to rent a Eastwood roller.

Im more concerned about the rears as the fronts seem fairly straight forward. Will be using heat a well.

Any tip trick from those that have done it would help.

Re: Successful fender roll
Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:08 PM
Did mine not long ago. didnt crack the pain. Heat gun on it to get it hot. then I just did the rolling in SMALL increments. took me a while but im happy with how it turned out.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:10 PM
Were you able to get the fronts and rears fully folded or just most of the way?
Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:22 PM
didnt do my fronts. no need to for me. I did the rears and got them mostly flat. I flattened it where it needed to be flat. No point for me to do the whole lip since the tire will never hit past where I rolled. Was not worth risking the rest of the paint on the lip if it didnt need to be rolled.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:39 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Did mine not long ago. didnt crack the pain. Heat gun on it to get it hot. then I just did the rolling in SMALL increments. took me a while but im happy with how it turned out.

Did the same with good results... Did tinkles car as well but had a minor mishap with one of his front fenders that caused a slight dent.

Biggest thing is small changes to angle/pressure on the roller and take your time.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:10 PM
Thats good... the front seemed fairly straight forward but the rears I was most concerned with.

I may just buy a roller if I can find one of the $160 with free shipping deals. Than Im in no rush
Monday, April 08, 2013 7:56 AM
Don't hate.

Worked INCREDIBLY well.
Car was in primer, but it worked beautifully. Surprising how much room it gives you.

Kept the hairdryer on the fenders until they were incredibly hot, and kept lowering the car on the baseball bats and slowly rolling back and forth.
No problems whatsoever, and didn't mess with the body at all. Still as straight as ever!

I didn't have $300 to spend on the tool, so I did this. The key is to keep the fenders warm and don't over-do it.
Monday, April 08, 2013 8:40 AM
I used a 2 1/2" wooden dowel and a heat gun. Lowered the car gently on the dowel, and slowly rolled it back and forth. I didn't move the car, I moved the dowel. Took me like 30 minutes per fender, but this is on my Lancer. Double thick rear fenders FTL.

Monday, April 08, 2013 3:00 PM
I tried to use the Eastwood roller and actually had better luck doing it with a baseball bat, towel and a heat gun.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:36 AM
I took my fenders off and used a rubber mallet into a sandbag after a pass with the heat gun. It was easy and worked fine. I had to actually cut the rear ones back because of the way GM built the 2nd gens. It was either that or cut them off and add a piece of filler to the inner fender.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:19 PM
Im going to give it a try when the weather gets more spring like.

Not going for a crazy roll just enough that I dont catch my new tires. Im changing to rear disk and hats going to space my rear out about a 1/2"

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:59 AM
Do you guys roll your front fenders, I'm getting a pair of Fiberglass z3 fenders and dont see this goin over well with the glass. Also does anyone happen to have air suspension with fiberglass fenders? I'm just worries about the durability altought I can't see it being too much of a problem as long as my tires don't rub.
Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:48 PM
I never rolled mine. If you need to you probably could just cut the lips off.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:12 PM
Fiberglass has no durability lol.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, April 12, 2013 5:10 AM
Brian wrote:I never rolled mine. If you need to you probably could just cut the lips off.

I wont do that...

Or I should say that would be a last resort.
Friday, April 12, 2013 12:31 PM
Yea well if I have much of a problem I'll prob just sell them them lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search