Lowering springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering springs
Sunday, August 04, 2013 7:41 PM
Does anybody know how low you can drop a cavalier until you have to get new struts and worry about camber? Thank you in advance!!

Re: Lowering springs
Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:12 PM
No matter what, if you lower your Cav with just springs within 3-6 months you will be getting new struts because it will feel like you are taking every bump up the ass because your struts will be blown. And yes, I know this from experience, I just picked up a set of KYB AGX so that i can handle the lowering springs that I have (eibach 1.4)

But it is your car, your choice.
Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:35 PM
You cannot lower a cav or sunfire at all without getting THE PROPER struts. New stock replacements will blow quickly.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:28 PM
Ok but if I lower it about 2 inches will I have to worry about camber?
Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:32 PM
jbodies are not like other cars. they dont have natural camber that you have to worry about. nothing a simple alignment cant fix after being lowered.

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:55 AM
Azncav (was static) wrote:jbodies are not like other cars. they dont have natural camber that you have to worry about. nothing a simple alignment cant fix after being lowered.

OMG!!! Someone who knows what they're talking about!!!

Monday, August 05, 2013 11:34 AM
silverJ wrote:Does anybody know how low you can drop a cavalier until you have to get new struts and worry about camber? Thank you in advance!!
You can drop a J-body exactly ZERO before you have to get new struts. Period.

You want to lower your car? Save the money. Buy your springs and put them in your basement until you have the money for the struts. I would also include replacing your mounts at the same time. Do it all once. Better yet, when you have new struts, mounts, and springs, you can assemble them before you even jack up your car, and then it's just a quick swap, and a drive to the alignment shop.

Don't lower them on stock, or stock replacement, struts. They will blow. They will also not control the bounce of the springs well before they blow, because they are not properly valved for it. I would recommend the Tokico HP Blues. There is a place online selling them cheap (just over $400 for the set shipped), and they are one of the better ones.

Do it once. Do it right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search