Parking brake problem - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parking brake problem
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:18 PM
I have a 2002 cavalier z24 5 speed manual. Ever since I got it the parking brake has been loose. When parked on a slight hill I have to pull the parking brake all the way up until it won't go anymore for it to stay. I put all new brakes on it when I got it and had it adjusted. It looks like the cable is moving fine so I'm not sure why it's not tight. Any ideas?

Re: Parking brake problem
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:49 PM
Mine was like that about a month ago until I adjusted it, now it's fine. Did you just get new shoes when you got your rear brakes done or did you get the drums as well? Your drums could be worn all the way down so that its just the last click.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:49 AM
Andrew Cramer wrote:Mine was like that about a month ago until I adjusted it, now it's fine. Did you just get new shoes when you got your rear brakes done or did you get the drums as well? Your drums could be worn all the way down so that its just the last click.

I got new shoes and drums. Is there any way to adjust the cable? Or can you only adjust the shoes?
Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:14 PM
Park the car and block the front tires. Take the rear wheel and drums off and at the bottom behind the shoes in the middle is an adjustment star wheel. Turning it one way will loosen and the other way will tighten it. Turn it a few times then put the drum on. Do this till there is a slight drag. Mine I always adjust so if I turn the drum really hard it only turns 1/2-1 full turn before stopping. Then do the otherside. Put your wheels on and drive around and try the ebrake. If its too tight it should lessen up after a little bit. If not loosen the star a little on both sides..

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, August 26, 2013 12:21 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Park the car and block the front tires. Take the rear wheel and drums off and at the bottom behind the shoes in the middle is an adjustment star wheel. Turning it one way will loosen and the other way will tighten it. Turn it a few times then put the drum on. Do this till there is a slight drag. Mine I always adjust so if I turn the drum really hard it only turns 1/2-1 full turn before stopping. Then do the otherside. Put your wheels on and drive around and try the ebrake. If its too tight it should lessen up after a little bit. If not loosen the star a little on both sides..

I've done that. Still isn't tight. Is there a way to adjust the cable?
Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:18 AM
You may have a stretched or broken cable.

Are you sure its hooked up to the drums on both sides? Looks good along the trailing arm?

You can take the center console out and inspect where it goes into the parking brake handle...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:37 PM
Cavalier's have self adjusting rear brakes. I am not technically aware of how it works, but if you hit your brakes hard while driving in reverse, it "sets" the rear brakes. If you hear a clunk during the process then it is working. It is worth a shot as it only takes a few seconds. This may have to be done every day you drive the car. My sisters 98 was that way. Also, pulling the e-brake twice can make a huge difference if it doesn't grab on the first pull. If you are confident the shoes are adjusted properly then I think you will find success with these methods.

Thursday, September 04, 2014 11:04 AM
Brent Willyard wrote:Cavalier's have self adjusting rear brakes. I am not technically aware of how it works, but if you hit your brakes hard while driving in reverse, it "sets" the rear brakes. If you hear a clunk during the process then it is working. It is worth a shot as it only takes a few seconds. This may have to be done every day you drive the car. My sisters 98 was that way. Also, pulling the e-brake twice can make a huge difference if it doesn't grab on the first pull. If you are confident the shoes are adjusted properly then I think you will find success with these methods.
. He's right try pulling.it twice. Also mine chunks after pulling the brake going forward? My parking brake also doesn't work properly. The bracket broke and It was loosened to replace but never tightened
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search