Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive?
Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:10 PM
example :

tokico d specs = $650
eibach sportlines = $250

This, including alignment and lowering costs, it costs up to $1000 just to lower the cavalier

$1000 just to lower a piece of @!#$ 4 banger from 2001-2004 that currently costs $3000, or $4000 at best

you paying basically half the value of the car, just to lower it

add new wheel, and bigger tires to this (who lowers a car, and stays stock with 14 inch wheels?), and now you have spent over $2000

modding the cavalier is just retarded

Re: Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive?
Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:25 PM
You come to a website dedicated to Cavaliers and Sunfire and call them retarded.

First lowering any car properly will put you close if not over $1k mark I have well over half the value of my car into my suspension, wheel and tire setup alone.
Also it's no secret that modding any car is a terrible investment. We choose this hobby not for the great value it gives us in money but because we enjoy it If you can't pay then don't bother to play.
But as far as your part choice D-spec with sportlines is a solid combo.
Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:36 PM
I know is a solid combo, but why is tokico d specs version for a cheap car, so god damn expensive, it doesn't make sense, who is buying this recently? I bet nobody, yet they haven't lowered the price since 2006, they keep the same high price for a car that is outdated and out of production, that doesn't make sense

I remember seeing tokico d specs for the first time in 2006, it has been 7 years since then, is the same price, how is that possible? for an out of production car?

then again, the struts on the cavalier just suck, other better built cars, can get away simply buying lowering springs, and be just fine

I do can afford it, but I really don't wanna spend $1000 just to lower it, and then more money to have some wheel and tires to go with it

if i had a better vehicle, i don't know, v6 or v8, i would do it

to me it doesn't make sense, in the end, is still a cavalier, sure it looks better
Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:52 PM
people mod everything and everything sucks. Just beacuae the car is inexpensive doesnt mean the damper costs less to make, that terrible logic lol. Some struts cartridges fit other application with different housings as well. Seriously a car doesnt have to have a price tag starting at $35k+ to "qualify" for modding lol.
Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:01 PM
These are for a 96-00 Hyundai Elanta, they too are around $1k, nothing is cheap if your modifying a car, so quit your bitching about our cars. Go buy your "better vehicle" and have a nice day

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:10 PM
grgegre grgegr wrote:I bet nobody, yet they haven't lowered the price since 2006, they keep the same high price for a car that is outdated and out of production, that doesn't make sense

I remember seeing tokico d specs for the first time in 2006, it has been 7 years since then, is the same price, how is that possible? for an out of production car?

then again, the struts on the cavalier just suck, other better built cars, can get away simply buying lowering springs, and be just fine

I do can afford it, but I really don't wanna spend $1000 just to lower it, and then more money to have some wheel and tires to go with it

if i had a better vehicle, i don't know, v6 or v8, i would do it

to me it doesn't make sense, in the end, is still a cavalier, sure it looks better

Umm... I dropped around $700 for my Dspecs within the last year and already had Sportlines to put on them. No complaints here. Stop bitching about how expensive J's are to modify because anything is expensive to modify properly. $200 Ebay coilovers for a Civic are the way to go if you can't justify a proper setup for a Cavalier.
Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:24 PM
If you get a more expensive car, you're just into a car for more money. They both do the same thing. You know, point a to point b and all. You're putting new parts on a car, why expect a discount from that company because you "cheaped out" on a car? Get a cheap version from another company. Might as well cheap out all the way...

...or you could just buy the damn good suspension and know your car is riding much better.

You could also suck it up, wipe your eyes, and save up for a "good" car. Then you can muddle through having to driving a cavalier without going to an ENTHUSIAST site to bitch about said car. Go to a Honda site and complain about Cavaliers. You might be better received there. (But probably not)

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:30 PM
Lol, if you think lowering a J-body is pricey just wait until your get a "real" car....

Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:17 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Lol, if you think lowering a J-body is pricey just wait until your get a "real" car....

Yep, just wait till he sees how much a focus is......

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:48 PM
1000 for quality parts that changes the entire look, feel, and handling characteristics of a otherwise car that is basically a wet noodle from the factory? yes you get what you pay for. deal with it.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:12 PM
Buy a c5 corvette and I'll show you how to lower it for free. Just remove the high adjustment bolts. Cheapest car ever to lower properly.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:38 PM
Four to Three thousand divided by one thousand equals one half.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:47 AM
I have Koni's and Sportlines and have no where near $1k in my suspension.

Regardless if it is too much for you don't mod it.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:58 AM
If you are willing to shop around for used stuff I managed to piece together sportlines and koni reds complete with mounts for less than $200

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:58 AM
Since its a used car, why not look on classifieds for used struts/springs or combo. Where I live there seems to be a bit of used parts still kicking around and I think I live in a relatively dead zone for cavalier guys. Just the other day after I put my Kyb Agxs on I found the exact same set in a scrapyard on another cavalier. Scrapyard quoted me $30 per strut assembly. So $120 all away around. I didn't pick em up but if I need a replacement set or find someone locally that needs em I know where they are.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:08 AM
age of a car doesnt effect the price of well engineered parts. if parts were sold in large quantities price would drop im sure. to keep on top of cost of manufacturing them prices will stay in that range.

btw if you think suspension parts for a jbody is expensive check for other cars EVEN older japanese cars.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:24 PM

$1k is nothing. I've got at least that into both ends of my car.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:49 PM
I have a set of used sport lines in the classifieds that I would let go for half that and I picked up tein ss from the classified for 650 and there isn't a much better suspension for the j IMHO just shop around there are deals to be had and as far as modding the jbody there are much more expensive platforms that don't respond half as well or are as mod friendly as a j so either deal or buy a Honda and be like everyone else.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:18 PM
If you're looking for sympathy you've come to the wrong place.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:59 PM
quality suspension for the Jbody is about $1000 if not more

ACTUAL quality suspension for other cars is about $2000+

Monday, August 26, 2013 5:28 AM
The cost of production has, if anything, gone up over the years since the J-body was discontinued. You're lucky they're not more expensive now than they used to be. It costs money to build quality. A company adds a profit onto the cost of production. That's how they do business. They'll get a lot cheaper when they discontinue them and clearance off their remaining inventory. However, there is still enough demand that they are continuing to make them.

If the D-specs are too much for you, look at the HP Blues. Same strut, just no dampending adjustment. You can get a set of those for about $400 instead of the $650 that bothers you.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:23 PM
I love this thread,

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:44 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I have Koni's and Sportlines and have no where near $1k in my suspension.

Regardless if it is too much for you don't mod it.

huh? did you buy it all used?

last i knew sportlines were around $250 new and yellows were around $600. so thats 850 and only IF you do it yourself and dont buy new mounts or have the strut bodies powdercoated etc.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:37 AM
Twenty4z wrote:I love this thread,

same here, should be a like button, everybody here pretty much hit the nail on the head, imo its not what you wish you have , its what you do with what you have

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:24 PM
Just cut coils and drop panties the easy way.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search