How to 03+ Saturn/Neon disk conversion with cable replacement, Lots of pics. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to 03+ Saturn/Neon disk conversion with cable replacement, Lots of pics.
Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:07 PM
I have seen a few how to's for the rear disk conversion but I felt they were not really doable by some people. So, here is mine where i do not alter anything and just do direct bolt on for everything. Also, this is my first how to so go easy on me.

what you'll need.
Mr. Quick's Saturn/Neon bracket
Calipers
brake line
e-brake bracket
Caliper bracket
Brake hardware kit (slider pins, dust boots and retainers)
and what makes mine different form the others, the parking brake cable form a 95-02 cavy.

You will only need a basic set of tools that most people have.

Here we go,
First, jack up the car and remove the rear wheels. Taking off the drums was the hardest part for me because of the rust between the axle and drums, basically just work at it until it pops off.

After taking the drums off i took the shoes off just to make it easier to get the E-brake cable off.

Next unbolt the wheel bearing and unscrew the brake line going to the wheel cylinder.

I found a little friend while i was in there. :-)

Then, install the bracket behind the axle.

After that I replaced the parking brake cable with the ones i got off a 96 cavy

Old one

New one

The difference

The only cables you really need to change are the two back ones because the one running up to the hand brake lever is the same length at the others. taking them off wasn't to hard, I just used needle nose pliers to take them off. The place they are mounted on the frame just uses clips to hold them in and the area they connect to the longer cable is easy to take apart by just squeezing them in to take them off.

view of where they are connected together and to the frame.

disconnected
Personally I found this much much easier than relocating the parking brake bracket.

After installing the other cable install the rotor and caliper mounting bracket.

then install the new hardware onto the bracket.

Next, connect the parking brake cable to the caliper.

Then install the pads and place the caliper on using the new bolts that came with the hardware kit.

The brake lines form the cavy match the lines that are already on the Saturn caliper so I just screwed them together. (I suggest replacing with steel braided lines, I will be eventually).

Everything hooked up.

Last thing you have to do it bleed your system and you should be set.

other side done.

And to finish it all up a couple before and after pics.

Hope this helps and hope it shows how much easier it is to replace the cables than to relocate the bracket. ( The main reasons I did not relocate the bracket is because: I didn't have access to all my tools to drill holes and stuff, and I am going to school for mechanical engineering where I am learning the application of forces and I really feel that if you move the bracket you are adding stress to the system that could cause issues later.)

This was a fun project and I encourage anyone interested to do the conversion.

Re: How to 03+ Saturn/Neon disk conversion with cable replacement, Lots of pics.
Saturday, October 05, 2013 11:17 PM
So i guess the ebrake cables changed from 95-02 to 03-05 when the drum assembly changed to the larger drums and simple design?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: How to 03+ Saturn/Neon disk conversion with cable replacement, Lots of pics.
Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:26 AM
AWESOME work man! If I were to do it that's exactly how I would go about it. WAY easier than changing the bracket.

What did this cost you in total?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:54 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:So i guess the ebrake cables changed from 95-02 to 03-05 when the drum assembly changed to the larger drums and simple design?

Yes
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:45 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:AWESOME work man! If I were to do it that's exactly how I would go about it. WAY easier than changing the bracket.

What did this cost you in total?

Total for everything was approximately $415. I saved up and it took a while to get everything but it was defiantly worth it. My brakes stop much better than before.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:38 PM
Ok, so where did the rotors come from? I see that the caliper and bracket came from a saturn but I'm under the impression that the saturn rotors were not 5x100. Are these rotors from a neon?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:00 PM
Yes the rotors are from a SRT4 neon.

Thats the nice thing about Mr.Quick brackets. Use all off the shelf parts and the neon rotor is larger.

Hows the stopping power compared to stock??
Friday, October 11, 2013 8:40 PM
We just need a link to Mr quicks bracket for this to be a complete how to.

This is on my to do list this winter.

Sticky!

Also is you already have a 2001 cavy would the parking brake just fit?
Friday, October 11, 2013 8:51 PM
^^

Yes.. 95-2002 the parking brakes are all the same.
Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:39 PM
Philly D wrote:Yes the rotors are from a SRT4 neon.

Thats the nice thing about Mr.Quick brackets. Use all off the shelf parts and the neon rotor is larger.

Hows the stopping power compared to stock??

Philly D wrote:^^

Yes.. 95-2002 the parking brakes are all the same.

Thank you for answering. Philly D

Also here is a link to Mr. Quick's GP

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=sales&i=40921&t=40921

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:01 PM
Awsome,

Would you happen to have any part numbers?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:12 AM
Rear brake cable: Wagner BC138088. They're about $25 each anywhere that carries them.

As for the drums and calipers, just go to any part store and buy the following:
calipers from a 99 Saturn SC2
brake lines from the SC2 or DSMskyline's brake lines (recommended)
rotors from an 04 Neon (base or SRT work---the difference is SRT is 3mm thicker)

Those are the ones I used, although the year range is pretty wide.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:20 AM
Weird, I called my local parts dealer they had told me a 1999 has rear drums.

Maybe a candain thing?
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 AM
Weird, I called my local parts dealer they had told me a 1999 has rear drums.

Maybe a Canada thing?
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:13 AM
shayne godding wrote:Weird, I called my local parts dealer they had told me a 1999 has rear drums.

Maybe a candain thing?
It may depend on the trim, but any similar year S-series should have the same caliper.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:58 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Rear brake cable: Wagner BC138088. They're about $25 each anywhere that carries them.

As for the drums and calipers, just go to any part store and buy the following:
calipers from a 99 Saturn SC2
brake lines from the SC2 or DSMskyline's brake lines (recommended)
rotors from an 04 Neon (base or SRT work---the difference is SRT is 3mm thicker)

Those are the ones I used, although the year range is pretty wide.

okay so do we buy two of the same Wagner style cables for the rear?
which is what im thinking is a yes.. and does the 3mm thicker make a difference?

(write what ever comment you want here)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search