New Springs? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Springs?
Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:19 AM
To start off i am still learning the basics of working on cars and kind of a noob when it comes to this. When i bought my cavalier the previous owner had cut the stock springs on the suspension to lower the car. This makes the suspension of the car god awful and you feel every imperfection in the road. My question is would there be a noticeable difference if i were to buy proper lowering springs to replace the stock ones that are cut, or would it still ride the same?

Re: New Springs?
Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:29 AM
Hello there. Alrighty, so the history of my car was quite like yours. 1st owner decided to cut the springs and it rode like poop and destroyed his tires in the process. He sold it to a guy who then put Eibach springs on it. Then I bought the car and put some better struts on it.

The big thing you should think about here is, while your does feel like crap now, the short term remedy is to just replace the springs. In which case you maaaaaaay get a couple months out of it feeling better. But that's just depending on how much of a beating the struts took.

Best way to go about this is replace both your struts and spring assemblies. While you might groan because it get expensive, if you replace just the springs you are pretty much back to square one.
If money is tight, then just pull strut assemblies off of a cavalier in a scrapyard.
Around were I live each strut is $29.99 so a total of $120 all around.
$120 all around is far better then buying $250-300 lowering springs when you will just have to shell out a couple hundred dollars more for better struts...
Everyone else will probably say something along these lines.
I've learned first hand so ya. That's my input.
Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:26 PM
Cutting coils on these cars doesn't just make it ride like crap it's also dangerous. Just like said above, you need springs and struts meant to handle the drop if you wish to remain lowered. If not, monroe makes brand new "quick struts" that are bolt in and go. Or like said hit up the yard. It's almost a given that the stock struts are blown from the car being "lowered."

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:24 AM
I agree with Andrew.

Just to give you some information, you can usually find a quality set of lowering springs for around $200 minimum new, and your choices for quality struts to handle them start at about $400 a set.

There is at least one set of used springs in the classified section of this forum.

I believe the Monroe Quick Struts are about $75 each, so $300 all around.

Whatever you do, do not bother changing your springs to lowering springs unless you get the proper struts. You're only marginally better off than the cut springs.
I would recommend Tokico HP Blues if you're looking for budget. They're an excellent lowering strut, but without the adjustments that the better ones have.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search