tie bars,sway bars and strut tower braces - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tie bars,sway bars and strut tower braces
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:03 PM
Could someone give me some links to places i can get a rear tie bar, sway bars and front and rear strut tower braces for my 04 cavalier?

Re: tie bars,sway bars and strut tower braces
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:19 PM
Normally people will say use the search button but I'll be nice and make it easier... Click here

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Friday, March 07, 2014 10:20 PM
You have the one year that none of that is available for.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:16 PM
TTR, ebay, and a few other places.

If you check scrap yards, LSS cavs came with a 24mm front sway bar and a rear sway bar factory. All 3rd gen verts came with a front strut bar and those are the best bang for the buck.

I assume Lansing, MI?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:46 PM
Awesome, yah lansing mi. Other question I have is whats involved in dropping the subframe to put in a sway bay up front?
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:56 PM
Nic Crosby wrote:TTR, ebay, and a few other places.

If you check scrap yards, LSS cavs came with a 24mm front sway bar and a rear sway bar factory. All 3rd gen verts came with a front strut bar and those are the best bang for the buck.

I assume Lansing, MI?

No cavalier ever came with a rear sway bar.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:18 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:

I assume Lansing, MI?

it's built in the rear axle. Not saying it works but it's there. Lol

see ya!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:26 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:

I assume Lansing, MI?

Since when?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:13 PM
3rd gens is welded in to the rear axle 1st and 2nd gens are normal rear swaybars.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:50 PM
I guess the conclusion to all this is i need to go scrapping
Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:07 PM
There are a few yards in the area, Schrams being the big one and if you are looking for sway bars I would avoid Kat's as there cars are on the ground. If you're up for a drive, there is an 04 LSS at LKQ's yard in Wayland.

The rear sway bar in the 3rd gens are welded in as Rob said, so you would have to grab the whole twist beam axle. If you don't already have aftermarket wheels or suspension, I would highly recommend doing the N-body suspension swap front and rear.

Friday, March 14, 2014 5:55 AM
So you can't put swaybars on a 3rd gen? Or do they have front bars and you just can't get a rear bar? I have a 2002 and was thinking about looking for a swaybar but now is it even possible to put one on the rear?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Friday, March 14, 2014 7:11 AM
You can get a regular aftermarket rear sway bar for a 3rd gen, the rear twist beams are basically the same between 95-05. The factory rear "swaybars" are welded to the twist beam.

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:38 AM
I make the tie bars, no company actually sells them.
Most on here are homemade, or mine.
Tie Bar
Friday, March 14, 2014 11:36 AM
So then do you have to weld on the aftermarket bar or does the car have mounting points somewhere? And do you have to take the factory one off if you install an aftermarket one?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Friday, March 14, 2014 3:39 PM
i have an OEM rear tie bar for sale. pm me.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Friday, March 14, 2014 4:31 PM
You have to swap the whole rear axle beam, the factory bar is intergrated in the axle. You can add an aftermarket sway bar to either one though.

This is a picture of the rear axle with a rear tie bar and a sway bar. It's does not have a integrated rear sway bar, The integrated bar is shaped similar to the sway bar but goes down the middle of the axle where the holes are then on either side it is welded into the sides, basically how the guy has the sway bar sitting is how the factory one is except it is built in and the sides of the bar is a little longer. I can't find a picture of the factory integrated bar.

Here is a nice thread to read with lots of pictures...

Here is a quote from another thread
Quote:

I forgot to mention that the rear stabilizer / sway bar size on the Js consist like this, per GM.
FE2:
Cavalier 95-96 14mm
Cavalier 97-02 18mm
Cavalier 03-05 19mm
Sunfire 95-05 18mm

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:33 PM
lol that is my picture, rick. and actually... that IS a 98 z24 rear axle... and does have the center bar in place.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:17 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol that is my picture, rick. and actually... that IS a 98 z24 rear axle... and does have the center bar in place.

HAHA... I must of spent 10 mins looking at that picture, trying to tell if it did or not, if you look at the holes, it looks like there is a bar there but looking at it direct, it looks like there was nothing there, I thought the bar hung down more. I just didn't feel like jacking my car up to take a picture.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search