Random Shift - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Random Shift
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:53 PM
While driving the car will randomly shift left/ right and seconds later will move back the other way. This started during winter but it wasn't until the snow melted that I could rule that out. I'm on stock suspension but had them same issue when I was lowered too. Does anyone have an idea of what I should check?

Re: Random Shift
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:32 AM
Steering rack is probably shoot.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:31 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:11 AM
Might just be tracking the road?
Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:13 PM
Could be but I have never noticed this with any other car. There is 212k on the car though.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:19 PM
I would also check the rear trailing axle, make sure that is straight and the bushings aren't worn out. When was the last time an alignment was done?

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:33 AM
Nic Crosby wrote:I would also check the rear trailing axle, make sure that is straight and the bushings aren't worn out. When was the last time an alignment was done?

^this

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:35 PM
Also mine was doing this as well but more so when i accelerated it pulled one way and when i braked the other. My pass control arm front bolt came loose. Little red loctite and bam. All better. Food for thought.

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:35 PM
Alignment was done on April 3rd.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:17 AM
Figured out what is going on. The front control arm mount(horizontal one) is loose. Upon removal of the bolt it was so rusted there weren't any threads. Reinstalled and it never tightened down. What is it supposed to anchor to?

Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:05 PM
The subframe.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 8:14 PM
Just making sure it's not something that may have moved some how.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:29 PM
After buying a new set of bolts the issue was obvious. The bolt had snapped on the driver's side, but was okay on the passenger. Hindsight tells me they were not torqued down with the wheels on the ground. Since I have Grand Am control arms It was brought up that i may need to use a stronger bolt?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search