ABS and parking brake light on - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS and parking brake light on
Sunday, February 27, 2005 3:37 PM
past few days i had the ABS and parking brake light on.
i replaced the ABS relay but that did not help. any ideas?
i can still stop

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Re: ABS and parking brake light on
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:16 AM
I have had that for over a year now...

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:43 AM
this is just a guess... with the crap weather. check out the axles where the speed sensor magnet reads the grooves by the CV joint. it might be covered in crap, salt, road grime,exct. as long as the red light isn't on you will be able to stop (w/o ABS) as for the e-brake, i'm guessing there is a short to ground. pop off the center console and look for some change that may have carried current. if the light really bothers you, and you can't find the cause of the problem you can snip the teal colored wire, just be damn sure you know when the e-brake is on.
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:01 AM
I have an 04 Eco LsSport and my D*** ABS light visits me occasionally, Im thinking of taking it to either Advanced or my dealer to get it cleared.

Any other ideas J-body owners and spectatorss?
Monday, February 28, 2005 9:47 AM
that one is definatly the above.
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:38 PM
chapter10 wrote:this is just a guess... with the crap weather. check out the axles where the speed sensor magnet reads the grooves by the CV joint. it might be covered in crap, salt, road grime,exct. as long as the red light isn't on you will be able to stop (w/o ABS) as for the e-brake, i'm guessing there is a short to ground. pop off the center console and look for some change that may have carried current. if the light really bothers you, and you can't find the cause of the problem you can snip the teal colored wire, just be damn sure you know when the e-brake is on.

that is actually a good guess and right on the money. check both the sensor and the exciter ring for cracks, dirt grease or anyother foreign material (exciter ring is the thing with groves on it, at the end of the cv shaft believe it or not it is a common problem the best thing to do is jack up the car take off the wheel put it in n so you can turn the wheels by hand with a flashlight look very close at the exciter ring just a small crack can cause a problem, and something else to remember that advanced or autozone most do not have the ability to clear abs or airbag codes just check engine codes and clearing them doesnt fix the problem just turns the light off until the computer sees the prob again.

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:07 PM
Yeah if You ain't having no problems Brakewise whatsoever then it's definetly a sensor problem Tim.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:56 PM
release your parking brake... duh!

no, I would just reset the computer furst, unplug your negitive battery terminal for 5 minutes, then hook it back up, if its still on, your ABS might have a problem. heh; arent I informative

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 3:56 PM
when you said "relay" did you mean the fuse?

When i race i pull the ABS fuse and those lights go on. then as soon as the fuse goes back in the lights are off and everything is back to normal.

But if the "relay" and fuse are the same thing.... then i'm sorry... i have no clue

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:59 PM
i have never seen a problem fix itself by disconnecting the battery or clearing any codes.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:43 PM
Like they both said, it is the speed sensors on the front wheels. I just had the same problem with mine. Maybe they should have a recall. Anyways I replaced them and the lights both went off.

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:38 AM
chapter10 wrote:i have never seen a problem fix itself by disconnecting the battery or clearing any codes.

AH! but if the problem WAS fixed and you reset the computer the lights should go out... hmmmm interesting.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:39 PM
i checked the fuses. they seem to be ok. im not really going to worry about it.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:34 PM
You ask for help and then say you're not going to worry about it.?!
Just clean off the abs sensors at the wheels and check for cracks in the ring.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:43 PM
Quote:

AH! but if the problem WAS fixed and you reset the computer the lights should go out... hmmmm interesting.

that is really only valid on pre OBD cars. on anything made after 96' the light goes out after the problem is fixed.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:09 PM
yeah, i was thinking engine light. even still if there is a problem it won't be fixed by pulling the plug. the light will go out until the abs computer reads the problem again. get a good scanner, mac mentor, snap on, or tec-2 it will tell you the problem. fix it. the light should go out on its own, it always has for me. as you can guess i don't use a paper clip to read codes either.
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:00 PM
Quote:

You ask for help and then say you're not going to worry about it.?!

i think you misunderstood something. since i still have brakes, its not really a big problem. now if i couldn't stop, then i would worry. but thanks for your idea. ill try that

Friday, March 04, 2005 8:40 PM
WOW, I thought I was the only one with this problem, I was just going to post and I found this post....
My ABS and Brake Warning light came on today and stayed on. The lights dont come on untill I release the brake after I start the engine and the brakes make a clicking noise(always have). The brakes still work fine, there is alot of salt/ sand on the roads now around here, I suspect that my sensors or rings are packed with salt, so I will clean the to see if the problem goes away.
I have a question......about the ABS clicking....I have always heard the clicking noise when I've released the brake pedal after startup..whats with that??, do all Cavi's do this?? '95 2.2 5sp.OBD1.
Friday, March 04, 2005 11:44 PM
if the brake warning light (red light) there is low brake fluid. if this "clicking" is the wear indicators on the brake pads then you need brake pads. i realize that the e-brake light and brake warning light are both red but if the brake warning light is on (an exemption would be a fautly sensor) then there will eventualy be a problem--you won't be able to stop.
Friday, March 04, 2005 11:45 PM
oh yeah, if you don't mind not having ABS it's no big deal, your car will pass state inspection w/o ABS. at least this is the case in PA.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:54 PM
I just replaced the front pads about 2 months ago, their fine. The brake fluid is full, I haven't had time to remove the wheels and try to clean around the sensors, maybe tonight.
The clicking noise is not on the brake pads, its up near the master cyl. and ABS area.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:03 PM
T. T. wrote:
I have a question......about the ABS clicking....I have always heard the clicking noise when I've released the brake pedal after startup..whats with that??, do all Cavi's do this?? '95 2.2 5sp.OBD1.

Well when you first start up you're car the abs system checks itself. engages the abs solenoids to see if operational.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:35 PM
Both of my warning lights went off for a day then just the ABS light was on this morning, THEN it turned off again!....crazy car ..Loose connection maybe??
Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:25 PM
My sunfire is having the same problems....just randomly one day both the amber ABS light and the red brake lights came on and have stayed on. I replaced the pads and rotors this past summer, the master cylinder is full, and I have no problems braking whatsoever, besides the fact that the ABS won't kick in (big deal). It's been this way for a couple of months now, and part of me thinks that everything just got packed with sand and salt, but like I said I can still brake fine. I have no idea what to do at this point and don't have money for a matco scanner or a tech 2.

'98 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2
Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:43 PM
this thread is 5 years old.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search