had a thought about torsion bars.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
had a thought about torsion bars....
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:38 PM
i was looking under a newer ford explorer. and i started thinking about putting torsion bars on the cavalier. going from the front subframe to the rear axle. i know it would be a custom job, and know about 95% of what it would entail. so anyone that replies with "it can be done with enough time and money" or "no one makes it" will pretty much be disreguarded. i'm curoious if it would put too much stress on the front suspension (ball joints, possibly the dogbone lower mount) during hard cornering and braking. if anyone has experience with it, please post.

Re: had a thought about torsion bars....
Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:00 AM
I don't think you could mount the bars to the rear axle because the rear axle and the front a-arms will cycle the suspension at different times. You could however, custom make a sub frame for them to mount to, but you would probally have to get them cut down to fit, then with them cut it will change the spring rate of the torsion bar itself.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:56 AM
THe bars would hang down to low were ever the adjustable keys go at the ends.
ANd seems like a total waist of time.

What good handling car has Torsion bars anyway? A Ford explorer?
Yeah thats a great model to get ideas from.

SOmetimes being different than the rest isn't always the best idea.

I am all that is man

Monday, April 04, 2005 1:38 PM
Id say just stick with what most people do, good struts and dop springs and sways and the car will handle as good as it possibly can and way better than a cavalier was ever intended to.

The torsion bar is not the best hanlding suspension, in a big 4x4 rig they work well, but for a sports car, i dont think it would be time and money well spent, hell all of the chrysler, plymouth, and dodge muscle cars had torsion bars, and everyone knows how well those handle, or lack of handling i should say, for an all out drag car, maybe would be worthwhile, but i think the project would loose steam way before you ever seen it done and put to the test.

Not tyring to discourage you or anything, just keeping it real.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search