How many miles do you have on your ECOtec - Page 20 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How many miles do you have on your ECOtec
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:15 AM
I got a 2001 Cavalier Z24. Ive owned it for about 3 years now. Bought it used with 92,000 km on it from a dealership and it now has 218,000. Its still running strong with no problems. Still the original 2.4L LD9 motor and 5-speed Getrag transmission. All ive ever done is just standard maintenance (ie. replace spark plugs, change oil regularly, use a bottle of Redline SI-1 couple times a year, etc).

1972 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray LT1
2008 Chevrolet Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.7L I5, 4X4

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:32 AM
Classic69 wrote:I got a 2001 Cavalier Z24. Ive owned it for about 3 years now. Bought it used with 92,000 km on it from a dealership and it now has 218,000. Its still running strong with no problems. Still the original 2.4L LD9 motor and 5-speed Getrag transmission. All ive ever done is just standard maintenance (ie. replace spark plugs, change oil regularly, use a bottle of Redline SI-1 couple times a year, etc).

you have an LD9 not an Ecotec. they came in the 2002 LS Sports and all cavs/sunfires 03-05.

On topic, I have 63k on mine. I had my driver side power window go out, replaced the TPS, and that was about it.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:50 AM
OhForKavy wrote:You have an LD9 not an Ecotec. they came in the 2002 LS Sports and all cavs/sunfires 03-05.

Ya, I know that...I was just throwing my $.02 in thats all. My '01 LD9 is not far off from when the ecotec came out in '02 is all im saying.

1972 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray LT1
2008 Chevrolet Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.7L I5, 4X4

Friday, November 06, 2009 3:24 PM
Bought mine new in 03 has the 2.2 ecotec it currently has 45000 miles on it and no problems even with a turbo on it

2003 2.2 ecotec turbo 250 whp 247tq
Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:58 AM
Hey guys! Wow this thread is still going lol. Well, the last time i heard, the guy who bought my J (02 Ls Sport) took her from 25000 when i sold her to him, to 65000 and running good, and my buddy who still has his, has not had good luck at all. At 70000 (roughly) he snapped the timing chain, and damaged 12 of the 16 valves, yeah big uh oh. sent the head out, and put it back together, and at about 79000 blew the chain again! This time he damaged 14 of the 16 valves. Got another new chain, and this time put a new tensioner in it, and it was good, till about 82000 miles, and now we think he blew the motor. Loud knocking, and just all around bad noises are now coming from the motor. So, now he is going to get a new motor, and build it the right way! Just thought i would let u know about the fun times he is having with the car, but he will not get rid of her, and is going to fix her, and get her going again. Like i said when i bought my J, no matter what u do, you will always love that little car. I know i sure miss mine! Take care guys!!!!

Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:46 PM
Just hit 200k on my 02 ecotec. Bling blang.
Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:07 PM
136k on my 04 Ls sedan 2.2 eco 4 speed auto , have to agree with mike being a first time Cavy owner never really thought i'd like em too much especially since i am not a huge fan of 4 cylinder anything. But having bought it in 04 with about 15k on it between then and now it's really held it's own, even though lately it's been nickel and diming me a lot which is kind of a drag. But guess that's to be expected when your dealing with a higher mileage car, i just would have figured those like me that have meticulously maintained their car from day one would have fewer problems down the line.
Monday, December 07, 2009 12:20 PM
^what sort of problems are you having?

Monday, December 07, 2009 12:42 PM
um let's see here, have had some issues with the brakes have a leaky transmission pan gasket the tint on my windows is starting to peel off the steering wheel is coming loose. Nothing Major just a lot of little things that i wasn't planning on.
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:53 PM
JUST HIT 75k have an 03 coupe. runs like a champ....well just had to rebuild the transmission but other than that good to go!!!! hope to see another 75k out of her.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:14 PM
Bill wrote:um let's see here, have had some issues with the brakes have a leaky transmission pan gasket the tint on my windows is starting to peel off the steering wheel is coming loose. Nothing Major just a lot of little things that i wasn't planning on.

well the tint obviously has nothing to do with the car, that's an install problem.
what kinda problems with the brakes? my stock ones have been great
the leaky tranny gasket is'nt a terrible thing, and should'nt b too much to get fixed. or fixed urself
and i dunno what the deal is with the steering wheel lol

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:39 PM
Ok well first off, the tints not an install problem since it's been on there for over 5 yrs my guess is it's wearing off though i have to admit i would have expected it to last the life of the car. 2nd as far as the brakes, the fronts were starting to make a chirping sound which even though they were just barely at the wear indicators wound up costing me a little bit because the back shoes needed to be replaced as well. 3rd while the tranny gasket isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is because gm put no dipstick under the hood to check the fluid level which means you have to get under the car. As for the steering wheel it's the entire steering column, question is is there a way of tightening that without setting off the air bag. There looks what appears to be some bolts or something right underneath where the airbag is, but i don't have the tools to do anything with it so may have to have a shop do it .
Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:46 PM
Just rolled over 32k tonite. Nothing wrong at all. Hopefully.

Friday, December 11, 2009 5:01 AM
I just turned 100,000 on my 03 2.2 Ecotec and 5spd tranny no problems with driveline whatsoever. 3 sets of front rotors and pads, 2 1/2 sets of tires, and $139 for an evap solenoid in over 6 years. Bought new in July of 03.
Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:28 AM
ekimnawi89 wrote:Just rolled over 32k tonite. Nothing wrong at all. Hopefully.

Damn. I thought I was low mileage at 59233 miles.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:31 AM
129k on my 03 2.2 eco sedan with a 5spd. im the 3rd owner, and have all maintenance records on the car, and all thats been done is regular stuff. after winters over it needs new front brakes but thats it, other than the fact that my a/c vents fell out and my center console fell apart :\
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:36 AM
That happened to me awhile back Josh, a buddy of mine was trying to adjust the air vent closest to the door on the passenger side and the thing fell out he tried to put it back but broke the piece off that fits into the dash. Started out with one from the Junkyard, but it never really fit all that great i finally wound up getting one from the dealer haven't had a problem since. Never ceases to amaze me how some of those smaller pieces like that just fall apart on a dime, as if fisher price put it together or something.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:06 PM
when would you guys say to change the timing chain for preventative maintenance? I am around 103k and havent changed it yet.

03 cavalier
american bass 400.1
2x 10" AudioQue HDC3's
Northstar NSB 2400 battery
Kenwood KDC X-993
loudest to date. 147.3 at 45hz
Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:06 AM
I've heard by at least 150k max, i know they stretch at 100k miles but whether or not a stretched chain is more easily prone to snapping i have no idea. i've got 135k on my 04 eco sedan, still has the original chain wish i could find someone to pull the chain and tensioner and replace them both for dirt cheap. But have heard most places want close to a grand for that kind of work, which i think is ridiculous but that's just me i think i'm going to wind up riding it out till the chain snaps and the engine seizes and probably trade the car off or something. Since i don't really think that with that many miles it's worth investing money into a rebuilt engine, Everyone has different opinions on the subject. As far as the thread about timing chains in general, i believe if you did a search you would probably come up with another couple posts at least on this from way back.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:15 PM
02 LS Sport coupe w/ 148k miles, original owner. I've only replaced the starter and fuel pump. Still running strong. Although I'm going to need to replace the power windows. they go down fine but they intermittedly go back up
Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:25 AM
Hello All,
I am new to the group.

I just purchased an 04' base coupe w/ 141,000 miles on it. Minus 2 water leaks , one coming form front drive side and one in the trunk, the interior is amazingly clean. the exterior is pretty decent too. engine compartment is very clean as well. engine runs strong. I have removed all the carpet and will begin looking into the water issue.

Friday, January 22, 2010 6:11 PM
04 cavalier

Just hit 43k miles, bought it a year and 8 months ago, had 34k miles.

Had to replace a clutch line, only front brake pads once so far. Factory Ac delco battery, it tested bad, but it still cranks every day without hesistation.

I need to get a new 3rd gear synchro. but thats the only mechanical problem with it right now. no ticks. no clunks. just purr.

Mobil 1 0w30. and I do a flush with cheap oil and a can of seafoam, let it run for 15 minutes. fuel injector cleaner once a month.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:47 PM
05 sunfire 125 000

only problem was my fuel pump that went a month ago. Other than that, she's treated me well.
Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:11 PM
Currently at 173,561 MILES on the odometer. Original engine that has never been rebuilt. I race it every weekend and still comes back for more....lol

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Monday, February 01, 2010 8:07 PM
81k on my 02 2 door LS Sport I'm the 2nd owner, the trunk takes a while to pop up on its own and the clutch feels a little high but thats all I have to complain about. oh and when I bought it I made the dealer replace the passenger side window regulator and fix a chaffed wire for the rear defrost after we agreed on price (yay me for saving like 300 bucks). Oh and of course it needs new struts and mounts, coil overs ftw, and in the sumer its getting off the mismatched all season I bought it on.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search