Can i swap a cluster w/tach for one w/o - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can i swap a cluster w/tach for one w/o
Monday, February 28, 2005 5:00 PM
I have a 99 Z24, i would like to swap my cluster which has a tach to a cluster without a tach, i would like to use a exturnal tach. Will any cluster from 95-99 work? i don't care if its not a digital odo

Re: Can i swap a cluster w/tach for one w/o
Monday, February 28, 2005 5:16 PM
Yes it should work , but make sure to use a 95-99 cluster because the passlock stuff is in there, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Monday, February 28, 2005 8:00 PM
Yes, you can, but the only way to get the correct mileage is to have the cluster sent out and have reprogrammed or if its mechanical, to have it recalibrated. Its expensive. Not doing this will be odometer fraud, so you kinda have to. Its easier in the 95-98's with the mechanical odometer since you can swap out the tumblers. The 2000 and up the mileage is stored on the BCM, but 98-99 was a wierd year, where it was digital, but the mileage is actually stored on the cluster.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:37 AM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:Yes, you can, but the only way to get the correct mileage is to have the cluster sent out and have reprogrammed or if its mechanical, to have it recalibrated. Its expensive. Not doing this will be odometer fraud, so you kinda have to.

only if you try to sell it stating that the wrong mileage is the actual mileage. i had problems with my odometer in my old neon. just had to stat that it was off by around 500 miles.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 3:37 PM
i dont think that applys to me, my car is in europe, it won't be sold and i cant sell it to anyone since its still on canadian plates.....so i'll just do the cluster swap, also does anyone know the correct way to re-program the cluster, i asked this question before and it was answered, but i cant find it anywhere, i remember it involves turning the key on and off in a certain order
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:39 PM
You can't reprogram the cluster yourself.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 4:20 PM
I think what he is talking about is resetting the passlock.

Where do you plan on buying the cluster with no tach? ebay? If so buy one thats close to your km right now or slightly below if its digital, if its mechanical just take apart the cluster and switch the odometer assembly from the w/tach cluster to your new one. I have done this on my Grand Prix its really easy and simple, just take off a few screws and be gentle with the circuit board.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:24 PM
no it can not be used. it will set a bunch of antitheft codes. The BCM won't know what is up if you start changing parts

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:21 PM
bullet wrote:no it can not be used. it will set a bunch of antitheft codes. The BCM won't know what is up if you start changing parts

Wow, thats a lot of bull@!#$. I know for a fact this swap works, I've helped people do it.

And no, there are no antitheft "codes" in the 2000+, its plug and play. The 95-99's do activate the passlock system, but that is easily bypassed as per my instructions in the interior forum FAQ.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:16 PM
i would keep the one with the tach on it, and simply tap into the tach wires for it to run to the external tach.........this way you bypass the rk sport adapter for those without tach?

just my .02

speed costs money, i have little money, so i have little speed. Donations are appreciated =)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search