97 sunfire - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 sunfire
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:07 PM
will be in my posession next week. Its a black 97 with all power accessories and about 80k on it. Brand new tires, brakes, ac clutch, fuel pump, window motor, and owned by a mechanic. He bought it off the wholesale lot at work and now that he's paid off his harley he has room for another bill so he's buying a caddy. So he told me he'd sell me the sunfire for a grand. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Most 97s with that mileage and mint body and new parts go for 2500-3000 bucks. Im getting a steal

What should I do to it is the question.
I dont want to go too low because Rochester's roads will eat most vody kits for breakfast but I would like to do some performance mods. Any suggestions for interiors also? My first task is to beef up the transmisison since I know the 4t60s and 65es have @!#$ty internals (forward clutches are not spaced right on some and the reaction shell where it splines to the shaft)

Pontiac racing is using a 80% stock 4t65e tranny in their racing vehicles and they are just as good as other company's $30k trannys. I just have to find out what they are doing and replicate it.

If anyone has good links where I can find molded carpeting, nice light comfy racing seats that dont cost a fortune, dash kits, stereo links....I am going to take out the backseat and build a custom molded speaker box because who is gonna ride in the back of a sunfire anyway? Not any of my friends I will tell you that.

Re: 97 sunfire
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:59 AM
has anyone here bought a body kit off of ebay? I have seen a couple nice ones at a reasonable price, and the shipping sounds reasonable too. I am wondering about the fit and quality. Any suggestions would help. I have a great body shop to go to and can get it molded on so it looks like its one piece with the rest of the body. I am also wondering about the scissor doors since nobody in my city has em and I would be the first one around here to do that.
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:10 AM
Body kits.... Well, I got mine from e-bay, but mine's a dragon z kit, and they all have fitment problems. As for stereo, you can goto www.darvex.com for your wiring, and goto www.ikesound.com for speakers,etc... Ebay has lambo doors for around 600 bucks shipped.

Beat it like it owes you money
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:44 AM
Check the group purchase forum for lambo doors, great kits and like $450 shipped.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 14, 2005 3:02 PM
well looks like this project might be scrapped now. I replaced the ecm in my 89 z24 and its running great again. The guy with the 97 sunfire called me up after he swapped the fuel pump and said that the lines are all rotted out and its going to give me problems so he would feel bad selling it to me. Fortunately it's a pontiac dealership and they always have more sunfires coming in for trades that go to the wholesale lot and wait for auction so he's gonna keep a lookout for me and grab the next decent one that comes around.

Does anyone make the lambo doors for the 89z? that would be the nuts.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search