brakes - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
brakes
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:47 AM
how do i put front brake pads on a 96 cavalier because someone told me that you had to have something to put the piston back in the brake caliper

Re: brakes
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:56 AM
please step away from your car.......

nah j/k

just use really big pliers or go to auto zone and get the "brake pad spreader. I think that it is like 10 bucks. thatt will do the job nicely

got some parts for sale. Hit me up
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:46 AM
or use a c clamp

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:08 AM
ok thanks for the help
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:45 PM
Word of advice. If you have never worked on brakes before. Let someone show you what to do. You deff DONT want to F your brakes up.

CLICK SIG FOR UPDATED CARDOMAIN
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:59 PM
Don't let the calipers hang from the brake lines, best way to screw up the calipers.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:03 PM
thanks for all the help me and a friend of mine put them on yesterday and he showed me how put them on

Napoleon Dynamite: Stay home and eat all the freakin' chips, Kip.
Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:40 PM
Also, the best thing for yourself that you can do....once you change your brakes by youself, have someone else look them over. This way you know its done right and you're sure you didnt forget a step.

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:24 AM
you can also use a c-clamp to push it back in.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:29 AM
c-clamp...works very well

Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:09 PM
if you use a c-clamp, leave the pad on. Makes it easier to compress the piston. You can also take the brake fluid cap off. If you do that, GO SLOW! You don't want brake fluid splashing everywhere.

Friday, March 18, 2005 10:19 PM
if just changing the pads, i dont recommend taking the cap off. no need to drain brake fluid for that. . once the caliper has been compressed with the c-clamp, and unbolted from its mounts, SUPPORT IT OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BRAKE LINES. I tied it up to the shock springs with some speaker wire i had. from there, the pads just pop off.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search