94 2.2. How much work to install in 96 Cav? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 2.2. How much work to install in 96 Cav?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:14 PM
I have a chance to get the complete 2.2 drivetrain out of a 94 cav for $140 canadian. I wanted to know if it is possible to put it in my 96? I know the pulleys are in a different configiration, mainly the tensioner on the 2nd gen motor is where the engine mount goes for a 3rd gen. All I would use would be the block and head and I would transfer all the accesories over from the original motor. Please let me know.
Thanx in advance.

Re: 94 2.2. How much work to install in 96 Cav?
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:10 AM
most of the wiring is different.. but with time and a 94 wiring harness and a bit of electrical wiring know how.. you'll have an underpowered 96

1997 Cavalier Z24 4Spd Auto. Magnaflow dual exhaust.
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:12 AM
i wont use any of the electrical, just the bare block. All the accesories and wiring will be from the 96. I just want to know because its my beater and I REALLY dont like how the engine runs right now. It sounds like ass, especially on start up!

Monday, March 14, 2005 1:57 PM
It will work fine but you will get a cel for not having a cam sensor

Monday, March 14, 2005 4:32 PM
Is there a hole in the block that i can tap for it?

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:48 AM
SOSracer wrote:most of the wiring is different.. but with time and a 94 wiring harness and a bit of electrical wiring know how.. you'll have an underpowered 96

yep i was about ready to say the same thing about the underpowered part...

Sunday, March 20, 2005 2:40 PM
Not hard, Just change the pully bracket , and sensors. Everything else will work fine, the sensors will plug in , but will not work unless you use the older ones...No you do not have to change the wiring harness...Some think it will be under powered, but I`ve already done it , and I think my older engine actually has more torque than the newer roller engine that was in it. I also have no problems with any lights staying on on the dash.
Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:45 PM
Quote:

and I think my older engine actually has more torque than the newer roller engine that was in it

94 is a roller engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search