Another tach install post/question...... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another tach install post/question......
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:18 PM
This is in reference to the 95-97 2.2's.

I've been sitting here reading through all the searches I've done and it seems that everyone says you need a tach adaptor or a tach that can read two cylinders. I think I read some places where people were hinting at wiring into a "tach lead" from the ECM. To me it makes more since to wire into the "tach lead" than buying a $50 adaptor, but I may be wrong here.

All of the 2.2's have the same wiring harness, correct? And I also believe that some have stock tachs, correct? Well if the two previous are true then there must be a "tach lead" somewhere for those car's without the tach in the dash. I am new to Chevy's, but not to cars by any means and this has been the case for every DIS car I've dealt with. I don't have a wiring manual and the auto stores have been out of them for the past two months, so I can't check for myself.

My question is this, if the 2.2 harnesses are the same, someone here must know where the "tach lead" is to tap into, what color is that wire? If I'm wrong about this then it will definitely give me a reality check into how difficult these chevy engines can be!

Anywho, all reply's are welcome and any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: Another tach install post/question......
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:32 PM
You still need the tach adapter because the tach lead is a half signal and is converted in the cluster to a full signal. Either you get a tach adapter, or you get a tach that you can switch to a 2 cylinder setting.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 2:38 PM
got ya, that makes sense. Thanks for the input!
Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:55 AM
just buy an adaptor. it makes everything so easy. just dont buy the rksport one. get an autometer one. you can check out my cardomain site, i have some pics of how i installed the adaptor

Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:34 AM
BaggedCav98 wrote:just buy an adaptor. it makes everything so easy. just dont buy the rksport one. get an autometer one. you can check out my cardomain site, i have some pics of how i installed the adaptor

is there something wrong with that one? i already bought it, but haven't installed it yet. are there issues with it?

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:13 AM
i just heard people have a lot of problems getting it to work.

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:19 AM
BaggedCav98 wrote:i just heard people have a lot of problems getting it to work.

I agree. Sometimes mine won't read over 1k rpm...other times it reads well past 8k when i'm somewhere around 4-5. I've checked and re-checked the connections with the adaptor countless times. I guess I'll trash that one for the autometer
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:56 AM
man, there's a waste of my $35 .oh well...

Friday, March 25, 2005 12:07 PM
autometer one isnt cheap. i paid i think 65 for it. i believe gravana sells one from autometer

Friday, March 25, 2005 3:11 PM
Anyone know where I could find a 2 cylinder one ? No local places have one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search