Replacing Exhaust Cam Carrier Gasket on 2.4L - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing Exhaust Cam Carrier Gasket on 2.4L
Friday, May 06, 2005 7:28 AM
I am replacing the exhaust cam carrier gasket on my 99 Z24 but before I start pulling everything apart, I was wondering if anyone had any links to an exploded view of the 2.4L engine. Or if anyone has done this before, a some quick tips would be helpful.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if there are any bolts that go through the timing cover and bolt into the end of the camshaft carriers.

It appears to be leaking oil from where the cam carrier and the timing cover meet. Has anyone experienced this before?

Re: Replacing Exhaust Cam Carrier Gasket on 2.4L
Friday, May 06, 2005 11:28 AM
Nevermind, I found the info I needed.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:35 AM
For everyone's interest, I replaced the exhaust cam carrier gasket and the gasket between the timing chain housing and the cam housing. Believe it or not but the gasket between the timing chain housing and the cam housing was in backwards and as a result, the cam alignment dowel hole was exposed and was the source of the oil leak. Plus the bolts through the timing housing to the carrier were loose (compared to torque specs).

The car is a '99 and only has 35K miles and I am the second owner. I don't have any record of the previous owner having any work done that would have required changing the gasket but I hope it wouldn't be like that straight from GM!
Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:13 PM
You gotta watch for those backward gaskets from the front and the rear cam carriers to the timing chain housing. They do tend to cause leaks if put on backwards .

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search