clickin' and clackin' at idle on 2.2L - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clickin' and clackin' at idle on 2.2L
Monday, May 09, 2005 1:41 PM
Been I while since I've posted here....used to have 86 turbo sunbird and the other day I fell upon a 98 sunfire. Runs fine and all that, but at idle when warm it clicks and clacks until about 1k rpm when it quiets up completely. Car has 77k miles on it. I looked at the plugs, and the insulators are light tan in color, no oil present. Does this sound like the timing chain adjuster going south? Could it be the valves smackin' the piston tops or just the chain makin' that racket?
Doug

Re: clickin' and clackin' at idle on 2.2L
Monday, May 09, 2005 4:53 PM
hmmm....its tough to say, it could be something serious

but ill agree with you because im thinking its either the timing chain that is making the noise, or just a sticky lifter....both make noise at an idle and tend to get quite once rpms go up, and are common problems on the 2.2

it couldnt honestly be either, only way to know for shure is to maybe bring it to a mechanic or someone who really knows their cars during a test drive, let him take a look at it

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 5:45 AM
I was hoping someone around here had seen this problem before. Guess there aren't many mechanics on this forum. I bought the timing set and tensioner, so I guess I'll find out the hard way.
Doug
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 7:33 AM
well If like my 2200 not enough oil gettin to timing chain
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:35 AM
Ok, I got a chance to look at it again yesterday. I beleive it is something under the timing cover. First, when cranking it after sitting over night, there is no noise at idle or above. As it warms to normal temperature, the the ticking gets progressively louder and the accessory belt tensioner oscillations follow suit with the ticking. I released the tension on the accessory belt and the ticking continued. Finally I used 2ft screwdriver from my ear to top on the timing cover. The clickin is definitely in there somewhere. BTW, I am a mechanic, I hadn't had the displeasure on working on one these 2.2Ls, till now.
Doug
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:37 AM
I had a 93 Cavaler, 2.2L, and when I would turn the key it would crack, click, then quite down in about 10 secs, maybe less. I sent a connecting rod through the oil pan, so I don't think the two were related....I'm sorry I couldn't help you more....the car is sitting in my driveway if you want to tear apart the engine, it isn't goin anywhere. :p Hope this helps alittle.....it never gave me a problem w. the clicking, but the car died too soon to tell.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search