how fast are 2.2 cavs - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how fast are 2.2 cavs
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:32 PM
budy has a 95 2.2 wants to mod it is it worth and if so when there modded and done how fast are they and what kind of times will it run ( talking ,turbo,lsd,nitrous,ect)?

Re: how fast are 2.2 cavs
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:49 PM
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:12 PM
how fast is your bike?

to me modding a 2.2 is worthless. ive thought about doing mine but its worth it. save a little bit and throw in a 2.4 (its an easier swap than an eco) and then boost that. w/ boost and a small upgrade to the fuel system you can get about 200-215 out of it. then you can go all out and redo everything to push more boost and go higher than 215

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:22 PM
stock with a 5spd your looking at high 16's low 17's....3spd auto yoru looking at 17.6-17.9

if you have a manual you can get it into the 15's n/a, with a small amount of boost from a turbo you cna hit 14's, faster than that ur talking major engine work

check the boost forum, there is always good stuff to learn in there

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:59 PM
i know a guy who had his 2.2 car hit 15.9 with all the bolt ons you can have for that engine. and his was a 3 speed auto

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:40 PM
the 2.2 takes more cash to go fast but is a lot cheaper to buy, just depends on how much you want to work.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:08 AM
Just swap it to a 2.4l

Proud owner of a 2002 Z24!
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:37 PM
How fast are the 2.2s?....
The quickest my 2.2 has gone with the turbo, Quaife LSD, and slicks in the 1/8th mile is 8.42, which SHOULD be low 13s in the 1/4th. That was only on 13psi of boost. Modding the 2.2 is worth it to me. I cant wait to see what it will do with almost double the boost

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Monday, May 23, 2005 4:56 AM
As far as quarter mile times, people will give you all these times and I think it really depends on alot of variables that produce those times. In all honesty, any motor has potential if it's tuned and worked by the right person. Some people say that a SOHC Honda motor is a waste of time and doesn't make power but I see in magazines cars running 11 seconds all motor.

If your friend has the will, money & knowledge, he can do it.

In all honesty, most people don't have 1 of those 3 things and you don't see it happening often. The most I've seen is someone turboing it but haven't really heard huge gains from it. Even when turboing the OHV, the key is really inside the motor that you need to upgrade to unleash it.

The ECOTEC & 2.4 motors have more potential but anything is possible. Just so your friend knows...it's not going to be easy.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, May 23, 2005 2:36 PM
I hate when people ask us "is it worth it"

For something to be worth it you have you think it's worth it.

Some people on here think it's worth it to pull there 2.2's out and drop 2.4's, eco's, and v6's in. I don't think it's worth it, but some do.

It's you're car (in this case your friend's) If you want to spend the money and you like your car enough to spend that money, then it's worth it.

It's your car, do whatever you want to do with it. Whatever makes you happy. Some people don't think it's worth it to do anything to ANY J-body... I can think of a few people that disagree

Monday, May 23, 2005 3:11 PM
jkhd03cav wrote:I hate when people ask us "is it worth it"

For something to be worth it you have you think it's worth it.

Some people on here think it's worth it to pull there 2.2's out and drop 2.4's, eco's, and v6's in. I don't think it's worth it, but some do.

It's you're car (in this case your friend's) If you want to spend the money and you like your car enough to spend that money, then it's worth it.

It's your car, do whatever you want to do with it. Whatever makes you happy. Some people don't think it's worth it to do anything to ANY J-body... I can think of a few people that disagree

Agreed

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, May 23, 2005 5:27 PM
Well I have a stock 98' 2200, and everyone says they are slow. I don't have another one to compare it to but all i know is my car is not slow. But i don't see why my car would be any better than someone elses, unless people are just hating on other people. I just love all cars so i don't know. Now its not by far the fastest car I've ever owned (78' El Camino,350sb,373 gears,750cfm,bore 0.030,stage2 shift kit, posi.) but its all i got at the moment and i really enjoy the car. So i have no prob. sinking some money in to it to make run even better. It all comes down to, if he likes his car enough or not, but if he is asking other people if its worth it then he prob. doesn't. But if he likes his car now, then mods will only make it better.

((I don't have a lead-foot, But i wear steel-toes.))
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:15 PM
Just Do It it may be a harder engine to mod due to its lack of performance but you will be one of the few that do Like me So yes its worth it to me

SPONSERED BY: Cavalier Extreme

West Virgina J-bodies
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:29 PM
Its worth it to me

I run about what a 2.4 or eco. runs. Well, autos anyway

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:17 PM
97cavy22 wrote:stock with a 5spd your looking at high 16's low 17's....3spd auto yoru looking at 17.6-17.9

if you have a manual you can get it into the 15's n/a, with a small amount of boost from a turbo you cna hit 14's, faster than that ur talking major engine work

check the boost forum, there is always good stuff to learn in there

justin cox did 15.9 with a body kit and molded rear spoiler with basic boltons...

how fast are these cars? its as fast as you make it.... the only problem is only a few have made em fast cause they took time to learn what they were doing and improved on past mistakes.

if someone can make a 13.6 second N/A 2.2 ohv, and we are seeing posts with people arguing on who was the first ecotec N/A in the high 14;s....like 14.9 thats proof enough that its all about how wisely you spend your money and time, and how much knolwedge you plan to put to it.

hell 14.9.... like said, justing cox in a 2.2L ohv 3 speed auto did 15.9 with basic boltons:
Engine:

RKSport cool air intake
RSM 59mm throttle body
Pacesetter 4-1 header
Magnaflow dual cat-back exhaust
Cavalier Connection alternator / crank pullies
Upper / Lower motor mounts

the ecotecs who were goin back an forth had pretty much all of that AND cams... and netted just a second quicker and no body kit.

its not hard to mod these engines, and its not really expensive. parts are abundant, and with custom parts you can get made, the sky is the limit.

sure you can swap to another motor, just to start from scratch again, but for the price it will cost most to do a swap, they would have been FAR past what the swap would have netted em.

as of right now what quite a few people have spent on boltons alone, i;ve spent on one set of boltons and a complete engine rebuild.

if there are 13 second geo metros 3 cylinders runnin around, i guess its safe to say....your car is only as fast as you make it. if you are deficient, then so will be you car. if you put in effort and smarts, then it will show in your cars performance.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:23 AM
i am completely rebuilding my engine this summer to make it faster. i have the 2.2 l and i think that it is worth it to me. i was going to do the w41 engine swap but i don't have the engine anymore.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:50 AM
event ur right about justin....i was very impressed when he first posted his times for that car...they have potential if you want to spend the money

this is jackin the post a little but.....

with the normal bolt on's and a new head like this how much of a difference would the head make? ive been debating if i should put some money into the 2.2 or buy a new car eventually....id be happy with mid 15's n/a, ive ran a best of 16.8 with just an injen intake and a 2.25in flowmaster cat-back

Saturday, May 28, 2005 8:11 PM
how fast are 2.2s?

they have 115hp, and that's not very fast
they might be quick on take off, but after 50mph it kinda needs more ponys to keep getting more speed.
I know this because I used to have one.

here's a story..
I remember racing a 1998 honda accord automatic with exhaust, and cold air intake, and I had a 1999 2.2 coupe 5spd with exhaust.
I got him off the line, but then after 70mph, he started pulling away so I lost.

If I had my Z24, I would of beat him because I ran a 11.2 I think, at the 1/8 mile with the
2.2 and the 2.4 ran a 10.5 stock Automatic

2.2s can be as fast as a Civic EX or a Corolla, or maybe a little bit faster, but not very much

if you have a lot of money and time, almost anything is worth it just depends how far you want to go, I guess Good Luck!
I would do it, but I wouldn't expect to beat a WRX or Corvette or anything like that unless I have a lot of money to blow!

Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:41 AM
Robby002 wrote:how fast are 2.2s?

they have 115hp, and that's not very fast
they might be quick on take off, but after 50mph it kinda needs more ponys to keep getting more speed.
I know this because I used to have one.

here's a story..
I remember racing a 1998 honda accord automatic with exhaust, and cold air intake, and I had a 1999 2.2 coupe 5spd with exhaust.
I got him off the line, but then after 70mph, he started pulling away so I lost.

If I had my Z24, I would of beat him because I ran a 11.2 I think, at the 1/8 mile with the
2.2 and the 2.4 ran a 10.5 stock Automatic

2.2s can be as fast as a Civic EX or a Corolla, or maybe a little bit faster, but not very much

if you have a lot of money and time, almost anything is worth it just depends how far you want to go, I guess Good Luck!
I would do it, but I wouldn't expect to beat a WRX or Corvette or anything like that unless I have a lot of money to blow!

you dont need alot of money and time..... thats the biggest misconception to date....

people who need ALOT of money and time, are those who either dont know how to do the work themselves, dont know what to get, or has someone else do all the work.

wrx's and corvettes run 13;s.... you can get a 2.2 to 13;s for far less even fractional of what you would pay for either car...

you ran 11.2 1/8 mile with a 5 speed

and the auto ran 10.4

but there are documented runs of people in 5 speed 2.2;s being faster than auto z24;s.... cherry sleeper/brian abreu was one of those people. but he was really a decent shifter with his 5 speed.

just some random facts

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 7:25 PM
Yes, 2.2s 5spds are capable of running 10s in the 1/8. it is possible

Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:25 AM
The main reason people do it is, its the engine they have and they have a love for modding cars. (its an incurabel urge) The other is, it is fun to take the under dog and beat the big dogs. Even though the big dogs won't admit it could ever happen. It very easly can. The 2.2/2200's require a little more planning and internal engine work, but they can get up there with the big dogs.

New sig in the works

Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:26 AM
WhiteCav01 wrote:The main reason people do it is, its the engine they have and they have a love for modding cars. (its an incurabel urge) The other is, it is fun to take the under dog and beat the big dogs. Even though the big dogs won't admit it could ever happen. It very easly can. The 2.2/2200's require a little more planning and internal engine work, but they can get up there with the big dogs.

That is pretty well said. My cav is my second car and when buyin it i wasnt really thinking about wether or not it had an ecotec or the 2.4. But now i have it and i love modding cars so i am modding mine. May not be as quick but it's still fun cuz it's a five speed

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search