Which one is it? Window motor or regulator - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which one is it? Window motor or regulator
Saturday, May 21, 2005 6:28 PM
Hey guys, I have another question. My brother's passenger window has gone bad a while ago. It goes down real smoothly and then you command it to go up and it stops half way. And then after 5 min, it will go up an inch, then after another 5, another inch repeatedly until it closes totally. Is there any way to check if it is the window motor itself or the regulator that F'ed up. And also, would it be easy enough for a diy project? Tried the search but came up short. thanks for any info.

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: Which one is it? Window motor or regulator
Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:20 PM
DIY - yes but you need two people to make it easy

The regulator is just some track and spring and its unlikely that it is damaged, it is most likely the motor. DON'T get the regulator/motor from GM, well you can, if you want to spend $180 on parts that you probably don't need. Go to your autoparts store and get a window lift motor should be less than $50. You'll have to drill out some rivets and install some bolts but it shouldn't be a problem.

I am doing this right now on my convertible, and a final suggestion, grease up the regulator tracks while you have it out, shouldn't hurt since it'll let it move more freely.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 7:48 PM
Thanks extreme fire, really appreciate the advice.

Just a couple of questions, what kind of grease should I use and should I look for a motor in the junk yard from a newer cavalier or is it not worth it. And does the window have to come out or just the body panels? thanks fire for the help

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:38 PM
oh may that window motor was sorta a pita...i got a window motor off ebay....its working just fine..costed like $30-$40

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:56 PM
well i haven't replaced one "yet" . ..but you shoudn't have to take out the window, just release it from the regulator and slide the window back up by hand and tape it in place(preventing it from sliding back down while your hands are there)
as for getting a regulator/motor at the juckers..well sometimes your lucky and somtimes your not. first you gotta find a power windowed cavy in the scrap yard..and even when you find it..its prob been sitting there for a long time, being that its outside and rain/snow have been corroding the electrics. but you know its still gonna cost you around 20-30 bucks for a good regulator/motor at the scrap yard..when you can get a new motor from an autoparts store for 30-40 bucks..all depends on your choice
Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:40 PM
thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

do u guys know what kind of grease to get to lube the regulator tracks with?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:54 PM
just go to a cheap junkyard in your area and get one. The junk yard i go to sold one to me for like 5 bucks. Just take a battery and some wire with you so you can test the motor. also take a drill to drill out the rivets holding the motor in.
Monday, May 23, 2005 6:07 AM
on my 02 i had to take the entire lift assembily out... IT SUCKED i hated it... i had to drill out 5 rivets that held the lift assembily in and i had to drill out 3 that held the motor on to the assembily.. it now doesnt line up properly and i get air leaks and water leaks only in car washes in the top right corner of the window..... have fun man it blows....

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:02 AM
You guys had it easy replacing your motors, what exactly am I supposed to tape my window up to when I have a convertible?? That, and its fun doing it after you install lambo doors, not only was I having to have someone hold the window up, we had to hold the door down too, it was fun though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search