need an answer - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need an answer
Sunday, June 19, 2005 10:47 AM
What's the signs of a bad alternator?? Help me please!

Thanks

Re: need an answer
Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:11 AM
Car dies, battery doesn't hold a charge, voltage is under 14 when the vehicle is running, cluster lights come on, radio dies, gauges act wierd, loss of power, etc...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:57 PM
turn the car on and hold a volt meter to ur battery... you should get 14 to 15 volts.

Anything less then 14 and you should get it checked.

hello
NEO WAS HERE
I have become too lazy to create a new sig.
you're reading my line-break
<A HREF="http://www.neo-j.741.com/">Check my website</A>
Monday, June 20, 2005 8:52 AM
thanks guys....ill run the tests.
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:08 AM
take your car to autozone/advanced, they have machines to test it and they do it for free. Or just start your car, then disconnect the pos on the battery. If it keeps running, your alt is working at least a little. Voltage regulators can go out and the car will still run but you will get dead batteries and your car dying or sputtering at various times.

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:14 AM
start the car, unhook negative cable on battery, if it stalls its something with the alternator, if it runs its the battery

Monday, June 27, 2005 5:14 AM
Hi Gravy

This is a quote from this great article in the link below from Joe Guilbeau's Alternator theory

"Do not EVER disconnect the battery cables when the engine is running, this is no longer a viable way to test alternators and will ruin many of the versions that are in use today."

http://members.bellatlantic.net/res00d4r/alt_theory_rev/Alternator_Theory.html

If you read through the article and then you can do the simple or more complicated tests as required.

Disconnecting the Battery connection whilst the engine is running is probably gonna say "Goodbye" to the alternator diodes.

It's a test that was done years ago on charging systems much simpler than the ones we have had for years now!

Hope this helps

Alont
Monday, June 27, 2005 7:03 AM
no dont do the disconect the battery trick its fine for old cars but on the new ones it
can cause a voltage sprike and hurt the pcm or worse just take it to advance its the
easiest way. and safest.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search