2.2 Ecotec thermostat location - Third Generation Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
2.2 Ecotec thermostat location
Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:04 AM
I need to put a cooler thermostat in my 2002 ecotec, can anyone tell me where it is?

Life begins at 100 m.p.h.

Re: 2.2 Ecotec thermostat location
Saturday, June 25, 2005 1:59 PM
Bash wrote:I need to put a cooler thermostat in my 2002 ecotec, can anyone tell me where it is?

It is on right side near exhaust manifold
If equipped with a auto u have to remove the exhaust manifold
Drain coolant , remove the thermostat housing to the water pump feed pipe bolts,remove the thermostat housing to waterpump feed pipe. Remove the thermostat.

thermostat housing to water pump feed pipe bolt to 10 nm. (18 inch lbs.)
Saturday, June 25, 2005 6:15 PM
why did you find a lower temp thermostate when your fan isn't gonna kick on until the
car hits about 200 deg. what you need to do is find someone to re-flash your computer
so your fan will come on at a lower temp. find that and you've got a reason to take all that stuff off.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 27, 2005 6:40 AM
jackalope wrote:why did you find a lower temp thermostate when your fan isn't gonna kick on until the
car hits about 200 deg. what you need to do is find someone to re-flash your computer
so your fan will come on at a lower temp. find that and you've got a reason to take all that stuff off.

Or you can just run a switch to the fan and turn it on when u want to
Monday, June 27, 2005 6:59 AM
true but dont forget or youll be needing a new engine. just wait re flashes are on the way. i know an owner of a speed shop and he says he has the disc on order so it does exist just give it some time.

Monday, June 27, 2005 7:21 AM
jackalope wrote:true but dont forget or youll be needing a new engine. just wait re flashes are on the way. i know an owner of a speed shop and he says he has the disc on order so it does exist just give it some time.

What else does this disc take care of, Rev limit,top speed cut off, fuel , abs,fans?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:22 PM
The fan is computer controlled. The thermostat is mechanical. Having a lower one will still allow you to run cooler temps.

Friday, July 01, 2005 5:27 AM
from what i was told it can take away rev limiter (bad idea) take away the top speed gov
change spark curve on coil pack equiped cars change fuel curve turn cooling fan on earlier turn off those damn d.r.l.'s. basicly almost everything that is controlled by the comp can be changed.

Friday, July 01, 2005 6:03 AM
jackalope wrote:from what i was told it can take away rev limiter (bad idea) take away the top speed gov
change spark curve on coil pack equiped cars change fuel curve turn cooling fan on earlier turn off those damn d.r.l.'s. basicly almost everything that is controlled by the comp can be changed.

why is it a bad idea to take away the rev limit?
Friday, July 01, 2005 6:36 AM
have you ever floated the valves on a engine till the piston hit them? i did once. cost
me about 6 grand and a new block its not fun. i dont know what the stock valve springs are rated at or what there close rate is but lets just say its easier to keep the rev limiter
set right where it is. besides these cars engines dont pull anymore when you get that high in the rpm band.

try to always keep one thing in mind its better to be safe then sorry. if you make 200hp
at 5500 rpm your cool if you make 202hp at 6500rpm and you need to buy a new engine and your walking.

Friday, July 01, 2005 11:45 AM
Quote:

What else does this disc take care of, Rev limit,top speed cut off, fuel , abs,fans?

When you smash into someones family cause your dumbass thought you needed to go faster than the speed limiter allows. I hope you stay alive just long enough to see them put into body bags.

Unless the limiter is holding you car back in the quarter mile, which only a hand full of people on here can say. YOU DONT NEED TO GO FASTER THAN THE LIMITER ALLOWS, GET OVER IT. GROW UP.

Read, then process the info, think logically, than if you don't have a headache afterwards, post your response

Friday, July 01, 2005 12:17 PM
Grizbone wrote:
Quote:

When you smash into someones family cause your dumbass thought you needed to go faster than the speed limiter allows. I hope you stay alive just long enough to see them put into body bags.

Unless the limiter is holding you car back in the quarter mile, which only a hand full of people on here can say. YOU DONT NEED TO GO FASTER THAN THE LIMITER ALLOWS, GET OVER IT. GROW UP.

how do u expect people to get there without talking about the mods u need to get there. I live in Texas were there are many back roads were there is no one around. Its just like any thing else in life,If your not prepared for the worst,the worst will get you.
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:12 PM
Back road isn't a track. Doesn't justify it in the least. Busy city street, or a back road where you "think" nothings around it doesn't matter you shouldn't be going that fast. Talk about mods all you want, mod your car all you want. Still doesn't warrant disabling the speed limiter. There's only one reason for that, you want to build a car to race at the track and it gets built enough to where it is hitting the limiter before the end of the quarter mile. THATS IT. You want to remove your Rev limiter , go for it, just don't come cry when you float a valve and theres no reason at all for disabling the DRL's, performance or otherwise.

If you aren't prepared for the worst, the worst will get you? Thats exactly why the limiter is there. To keep idiot drivers that think they need any fasters. Hell, I think if you get caught speeding more than once, especially on a highway or a back road. IT should be manditorily set at 70, or whatever the highest speed limit is. Keep it on the track.

Read, then process the info, think logically, than if you don't have a headache afterwards, post your response
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:20 PM
Grizbone wrote:Back road isn't a track. Doesn't justify it in the least. Busy city street, or a back road where you "think" nothings around it doesn't matter you shouldn't be going that fast. Talk about mods all you want, mod your car all you want. Still doesn't warrant disabling the speed limiter. There's only one reason for that, you want to build a car to race at the track and it gets built enough to where it is hitting the limiter before the end of the quarter mile. THATS IT. You want to remove your Rev limiter , go for it, just don't come cry when you float a valve and theres no reason at all for disabling the DRL's, performance or otherwise.

If you aren't prepared for the worst, the worst will get you? Thats exactly why the limiter is there. To keep idiot drivers that think they need any fasters. Hell, I think if you get caught speeding more than once, especially on a highway or a back road. IT should be manditorily set at 70, or whatever the highest speed limit is. Keep it on the track.

oh well just dont get in the way when I come around
Friday, July 01, 2005 5:21 PM
ya know i thought that tube running under the exhaust manifold might be a coolant line, and it runs really close under it too. hmmm dont think i like the exhaust manifold heating my coolant...maybe a little header wrap on that coolant pipe is in order...might help keep the coolant temps a little lower....

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Friday, July 01, 2005 7:29 PM
grizbone i agree that no one should street race but i still every great once in a while do.
and your also right that you could kill someone but so can smoking for that matter. i do
not condone what other people do or do not do but since this isnt church please dont preach to me. ive NEVER had an accident not even a fender bender. as for the DRLs
say whatever you want to my friend but there is ZERO evidence that they reduce accidents, ZERO, now if you like them ok im not gonna knock you for your preference
i personaly do not like them i THINK they are a rediculous besides the fact i have
$120.00 set of bulbs and noone is gonna make me run them in the daytime and waste
them sorry.

why dont you also preach about abortion that kills too, how about alcohol, and one of my personal favorites guns, remember guns kill people yeah like you need a gun to do that. guns are illegal in england right so guess what everybody stabs each other
with knives, so get this there planning to outlaw long sharp knives! whats next baseball bats.

your sig. is great now take your own advice and stay out of my car. thank you

Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:36 AM
The well, no one is was talking about limiting their gun speed or knife speed so it never came up.

As far as the ZERO evidence that it reduces accidents, there's also ZERO that it doesn't. And I've noticed actually quite a few people notice them. Don't want to waste 120 dollar bulbs? Buy cheaper one. Although I'm fairly sure that having them on in the day time isnt going to hurt them too much.

As for the smoking analogy. It stll didn't give a reason as to why the speed limiter should be removed. If your car makes enough power to where it hits the limiter before the end of the race, then theres a plausable reason. If it doesn't , you have no need to have it removed. Get over it.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:20 AM
Grizbone wrote:The well, no one is was talking about limiting their gun speed or knife speed so it never came up.

As far as the ZERO evidence that it reduces accidents, there's also ZERO that it doesn't. And I've noticed actually quite a few people notice them. Don't want to waste 120 dollar bulbs? Buy cheaper one. Although I'm fairly sure that having them on in the day time isnt going to hurt them too much.

As for the smoking analogy. It stll didn't give a reason as to why the speed limiter should be removed. If your car makes enough power to where it hits the limiter before the end of the race, then theres a plausable reason. If it doesn't , you have no need to have it removed. Get over it.

who ever said how long a (race) should be? Are you the race police?
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:03 AM
Its common sense.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:35 PM
ok grizwald last time im gonna even bother to address you. first your worried about killing people in your car but you dont care about guns or knives right? deads, dead
dumb a$$. i put in those bulbs cause the factory lights suck these dont period and there not those cheezy blue ones that heat up and possibly damage my wireing.
and if people cant see the whole freakin car i gaurentee that lights wont help its people like that that shouldnt have a car at all. i did agree with you about street raceing i said it is stupid but welcome to america where i can do what i want and theres nothing that
people like you can do about it sorry. you not the car police your not my mom or dad
hell your not even anyone important. i didnt try to start with you i only answered a question that you didnt ask so do everyone here a huge favor and s.t.f.u. and again
please, please, pretty please with suger on top listen to your own advice given in your
sig.

b.t.w. just so you know i do race my car. at the track not on the street not anymore if i get caught i'll lose my raceing licence and alllll the potential money that goes along with it and yes maybe kill someone so no its not worth it.

now that im finished with dumba$$ here,
my friend at the speed shop said its still on order but that you should check around at local speedshops in your area tht they may have it already its aparently been out for a couple weeks now and that a friend of his out in ohio allready has it and says its great
you can change everything just like on a camaro or any other car.
so ask around and good luck.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search