Knocking 2.4l - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Knocking 2.4l
Friday, June 03, 2005 3:03 AM
Hi! I bought a 1995 z24 and the guy who have it before me stored it because he broke the reverse last year. The engine was running fine at that time. We started it up this morning and the engine was knocking hard. It seam to be the in the valvetrain. Somebody have any idea?

Thank you!

Re: Knocking 2.4l
Friday, June 03, 2005 3:10 AM
If its a 95 then its a 2.3L (says "Quad 4" on the cover). If its an extremely loud knock, then its a rod, valves usually don't knock, they tick...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, June 03, 2005 3:27 AM
I understand why you tell me it is a 2.3l, I wrote 2.4l in the subject. I knew 1995 had 2.3l but I'm tired this morning, sorry.

It is a hard knock but it's not knocking like a rod. When I rev the engine up, it's not knocking steady or regularly. When the engine slows down, it's start knocking faster and tends to stop knocking but it return to it's steady beat at idle. Strange!

This engine didn't run for about 8 months, what can be the cause of that?

Thank you!
Friday, June 03, 2005 10:23 AM
how many miles on it?

The 2.3 are notorious for a "knocking" noise in the timming chain are. It could be a dry lifter too that is stuck close.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:50 AM
my moms 95 2.2l cavalier had a knock in the engine.

turns out a vavles lifter broke. got jammed and was worn away buy the cam rubbing against it.

so you may want to take off the vavle cover and see if the vavle rockers are loose. if they are this may be the problem.

now since you got a 2.3l dohc it might be differnt.

my old man put in a new lifter. and sold the car as soon as possible. since the cam was worn it started to eat away the new lifter. thank god we sold it asap.

2001 Kawasaki Lakota Sport w/ skids, nerfs and Mud-Lites
Thursday, June 09, 2005 3:30 PM
2.3 don't have rockers and it's a PITA to take off the cam housing cover.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:39 AM
Both times i heard a loud knock from my 2.4 it was the piston hitting something. Rod brearings went out.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:39 PM
shell brand motor oil 15w30 that sheit will pull the knock right out if its not toooo bad. Ive done it before. now its like it never happened
Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:04 PM
a freind of mine owns a 9 sunfire gt and his had a knocking in it that sounds about how you explained it and about a week or two later he shot a rod threw his block.
Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:05 PM
i ment he owns a 96 sunfire gt... but needles to say its been sititng in his driveway now for about two months.
Friday, June 17, 2005 2:57 AM
Something make me confused. The engine was OK before it was stored last summer and now it is knocking. It seams to be in the valvetrain. When a rod bearing is shot, you rev the engine to 2000 - 2500 rpm and it's knocking harder but my engine is knocking at idle and all rpm but just faster and irregularly. When I try to listen to under the car, the sound don't come from there.

Friday, June 24, 2005 5:42 PM
Same thing happened to my car. Ive heard its a main from some Certified techs, some people said its a rod, or lifter. problem solved... Just buy another 2.4 and drop it in. You can get a used one fairly cheap depending on where you go ro cal and rebuild it the way you want. Mine has been in the shop now a total of almost 3 weeks and i just got the new clutch(centerforce dual friction) in so it should be ready by tuesday.
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:07 PM
change the oil, i bet its worn out by now (ie the 3 months part)

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:05 PM
is it a 5 spd, it could be the throw out bearing? push in the clutch to see if it quits.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:30 PM
it's a 2.3, not a 2.4. Rod bearing is not a problem on the 2.3. You have a dry lifter and it will take a few minutes to be ok or a few miles.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search