2.4 swap complete but quick question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 swap complete but quick question
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:47 AM
Quick Question.... I just did a 2.4 swap from my blown 2.4.... I did the upper/lower engine mounts from car customs, upper lower tanny mounts from car customs, and centerforce dual friction clutch while i was in there. Everythings all fine and dandy but i get this loud raspy rattle when i start the car up( almost like a really hard start) and then i decide to look at the side of the engine and it according tot he #'s its came out of a 99 Alero. Is there any difference in motors??? did i forget todo something ..... help me... Or is it just the mounts doing there job holding everything down which is why im getting that hard start..

Is it Possible I got a H.O engine?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 3:45 PM
Is that a possibility????? that i got a H.O. engine instead of the standard 2.4?
Re: Is it Possible I got a H.O engine?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:27 PM
the Ho is a 2.3 and it died in 94. It doesn't even look like a 2.4 other than the IDI cover and the timing chain housing.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, July 04, 2005 5:12 PM
Did you install the clutch right and did you triple check your torque values when you installed it. Sounds like something is loose.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:02 AM
i didnt do the clutch i had my master cert. mechanic do it who i work with.
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:41 AM
the motor does sound different on start up with all the mounts , than it does with out them

also in some cases , they will rattle some cause the lifters will bleed off pressure when the car is shut off

and it take a few seconds for the pressure to pump them back up again

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:37 PM
thnaks
Friday, July 15, 2005 2:52 PM
To me it doesn't sound like something to worry about..ask your tech if he machined the flywheel before putting in the new clutch. If he didn't and said that the flywheel looked fine(which can he true)..this would cause a loud raspey squeel on startups. A new fiction disc fitted to an old(but good) flywheel will catch the other edge on the surface for the flywheel caused by the old fiction disc. Once the new clutch fiction disc is bed'd to the old flywheel the sound "Should" go away. If it doesn't then it's possible your tech "Should" of machined the flywheel before fitting it back into place with the new clutch. As for the mounts you fitted, i have them both and they don't cause the slightest bit of noise(Providing that you greased the fawk outta them). I fitted the bottom first(being that its the easiest)..then about 2 weeks later i fitted the upper mount. During that time no noise was detected..there are vibrations from the stiffer mounts, but like I said..heard no noises at all. I actually find that my eninge starts easier with the stiffer mounts..Ne-waz Good Luck!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search