The dreaded water pump - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The dreaded water pump
Sunday, May 15, 2005 9:34 AM
Haha, so my car seems to overheat kinda quick. like ill be driving around town and the water temp stays at about 210, then when i come to a stop light and sit for about 2 mins, the fan kicks on. so i think either the water pump might be going, or i need to replace my coolant or something. any ideas on what it could be? if it is the water pump than can someone point me in the right direction on how to replace it. I've heard that you have to pull the motor, but with a manual i think i can just loosen the motor mounts and jack up the motor. maybe? and i should also replace the timing chain while im there right? thanks guys......

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Re: The dreaded water pump
Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:45 AM
Well, is it an aftermarket fan?

One reason could be the supercharger. However, it is an electric fan, and it is supposted to come on at a set temperature. I am curious to know how often this has been goin on, and what parts you installed last.

About driving conditions, when you are driving along, the car will stay alittle cooler then if you are driving, then stopped. It happens w. all cars. If you could explain alittle better, as well as the question about the fan and aftermarket parts last put in, I could help you better. But it might just be normal.

Are you overheating to the point of steam coming from your engine, or just alittle hotter? Also, how far/fast are you driving?

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Sunday, May 15, 2005 2:13 PM
hmm lets see here.....
its the stock fan

its been going on for about half a year, justs does it faster now. the last thing i installed last was my s/c actually, oh and then a fuel filter. thats it.

basically, but when i got the car it never did that, it always stayed under 210 no matter if i was stopped or if i was driving it. and whats funny is if i give it a run then it cools down, but if im driving normally it stay at about 210 so.....

no steam, the fan always kicks on at about 250-60 maybe. driving about 20 miles at around 65 the whole way, but when i have to stop at a light it runs hotter, and i always have to stop at this one light that takes forever to change and if i dont put the ac on to manually kick the fan on then it does it by itself so....anything else you wanna know just ask, ill do my best to explain the problem. thanks

2000 Camaro V6.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 2:21 PM
Mat,

It just seems normal, when the temp of the water/coolant gets hot(pre-set), the fan is designed to kick in to cool it down via the radiator. On the highway, the air runs through the radiator and keeps everything cool. When you hit the city, the car is stopped and no air flows through the radiator. Maybe you are alittle low on coolant (when was the last time you checked?) and it is causing the temp of the block to go faster, so the fan kicks in? As long as you aren't overheating, I see no problem, at least none worth fixing. If it bothers you that much, you can install a new thermastat that opens at a lower temp (160 or 180--not sure what you have in now). Just check the coolant when you get around to it--like I said you might be alittle low.

One more thing, does it do it all the time, regardless of the outside temperature? But like I stated before, it just seems normal. Hope this helps, and isn't too confusing to read, I have a habit of confusing people--so I apoligize in advance.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:19 PM
yea i was planning on getting either the 160 or 180 thermo, but i dont know which to get. ive heard dont get 160 it'll take forever to heat up and stuff, but i have a s/c, that would help it out alot more than an N/A car.

and yes it does it no matter what the outside temp is.

i might just have to check the level, i believe the last time i checked it was a little below the line for max so......thanks again man

2000 Camaro V6.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:31 PM
if your in a cooler temp area, dont get the 160, or you will freeze in the winter (no heat). the 180 will work great for you.

as for your problem, Id replace the thermostat, and flush your coolant. Your waterpump will seap out a hole when the seals go bad..... so check it to see if its wet. (some seapage is normal acourding to GM)..... just keep an eye on the coolant level, and if you start leaving puddles, then replace the pump.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:39 PM
were can one obtain the 160 thermostat?
ive looked at napa, and also in some books at my dads shop, i dident come up with any P\N's
thanks

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, May 20, 2005 5:45 AM
Just curious, even if he gets a 160 thermostat, isn't the temps still gonna do the same think at lights? The fan will still be kickin on as late as it did now. Is there a way to adjust when the fan comes on, other than a fan override switch or turning on the a/c condenser?

2000 Z
Friday, May 20, 2005 6:21 AM
i ganked a fan from a civic... im going to hard wire it in to a switch...hopefully it will clear the blower.
chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:49 PM
mine does that too... but sometimes it climbs past the half mark to almost the 3/4 line... but it never gets hotter than that... and that only happens when im sitting in traffic... seems normal to me since it wont do it unless im in traffic... which is exactlly like ur saying is happening... i have no idea when my fan kicks on tho... can never tell/dont really care... peace

-------------
Now Blazing: Bunker Bud
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:53 PM
i got rear ended a few years back in my cav... and since then it started gradually getting warmer.. and going back down... just maybe a notch or two above the mid range point where normal temp is supposed to be... and at about 120k on the odometer it just gradually started getting worse adn worse and then it stopped after a few mins of being parked and then the fan would kick on like yours seem to sound like its doing...about a month and 1/2 later it just started getting hotter and hotter on my way to work... and the temp got to the red and my check guages light came on... and got out... all the coolant was on the ground... ended up it was my water pump. luckily it was only about 5mins from a chevy dealer....... id recommend getting that replaced.... but im not technical, so thats just my 2 cents.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:14 PM
I thought 180 is the thermstat u r supposed to have in the cavy .
I took mine off cuz its summer
Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:54 AM
You took off your thermostate becuase it is summer? The car will run fine with it in. I don't get it. pleas explain.

New sig in the works
Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:14 AM
hmm, well now my car heats up even with the ac on, and the ac kicks the fan on! ima have to check the coolant level here in a day or two, might be a quick fix, might be a permanent fix, i dunno. but, i imagine ill have to do the water pump sometime.....lol

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:30 AM
160 degree thermostat is way to low. your car will constantly run in closed loop and never go open loop like it should. stock we come with 195 thermostats so i'd check into getting a new one...

Sunday, June 05, 2005 2:18 PM
if you have an Automatic, I would not take off the thermostat and drive it like that.
it will cause the coolant run too cold and the computer sends a signal to the Automatic Transmission and the car will NOT shift to normal drive I don't know why GM did that but I took my thermostat out and the temperature gets cold maybe it would go to the second line, and if I was driving on the highway at 70MPH the tempurature would get just a little over 100F degrees and the tranny would not Shift to Normal 4th gear
it went from 70MPH @2650RPMs TO 70MPH @ 3100RPMs and it also hurts the Gas mileage.

get a cooler 160F degree thermostat, and drill a small tiny hole to by pass air pockets.
Check the Radiator. make sure gets hot on both sides.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:57 PM
I have little knowledge of a SC'ed 4cyl., but V8's that have been SC'ed tend to run hotter than non SC'ed. Just to add a 2.0 SC has a bigger radiator than a 2.2 ecotec, most likely because they run hotter.

The best solution would be to get a bigger radiator, if there is one, or perhaps an aluminum. Either way it would cool the engine down more. Either with a larger one (more coolant being cooled) or aluminum (help dissipate heat faster than stock).
Saturday, June 18, 2005 5:26 PM
or just a new radiator

Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:06 AM
well i switched to synthetic oil, flushed the coolant and now it doesnt overheat at all! i would be sitting at a light or whatever, and it wouldnt go past 210 now! so im happy, maybe the water pump isnt going, but i know i will have to do that sometime in the future. thanks for you help guys....

2000 Camaro V6.

Friday, July 01, 2005 1:35 PM
pull the motor? thats crazy my mom is having hers changed on her 99 with a 2.2 auto and the price dont indicate they are pulling the motor.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
Jenny Black Thunder WILL Conquer All!!!!
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:16 PM
yea but its completely different on a 2.4l. the water pump is in a very hard to reach place and unless you have a manual i think, the motor has to be pulled. but thats just what ive heard. it could be the same for the autos and the manuals for the 2.4, but ionno

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:26 PM
you dont have to pull the motor on the 2.4 's all you have to do is remove the exhaust manifold , and the water pump is on the passenger side in the back of the engine compartment !
Friday, July 15, 2005 2:36 PM
motor stays in the car but you can''t just take off the manifold and remove the pump. It's driven by the timing chain there for you have to release the tension off the chain. In order to due so the upper mount comes off, then the timing cover, release timing chain tension, and i believe now you can remove the water pump
Saturday, July 16, 2005 1:12 AM
i did the water pump on my 2.4 about 3 months ago... took out the upper motor mount and raise up the motor, and moved it around to get to the timing chain as i needed... its not that bad, just time consuming, and make sure YOU DONT LOSE YOUR TIMING! ( like i did ) but if you do lose your timing, hit me up... i know how to re-set it now.

jason

AOL - qwikcav24
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search