comp. and fuel question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
comp. and fuel question
Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:56 AM
Looking for a chip or comp. upgrade for my ecotec. Anyone have any suggestions?
Also wantin to know if anyone makes fuel upgrades other than a throttle body.

Re: comp. and fuel question
Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:27 PM
You cannot chip the 96+ OBDII computer. All a chip does (for other vehicles) is throw more fuel into your motor or for some change the timing. You CAN do this but only when necessary.

If you have very minor modifications, fuel upgrades aren't necessary. From personal experience, I didn't need to worry about fuel untill I opened up my motor and installed cams because the computer started running rich and needed to turn the fuel down instead of up.

The products you can use is an SAFC-2 (which is what I have to adjust my fuel), Greddy E-manage & an MSD Ignition system.

An SAFC-2 pretty much tricks the computer to telling the injectors it needs more or less fuel to go inside the motor.

An Greddy E-manage hooks up just about the same way as the SAFC-2 but works differently. You can use an Greddy E-Manage with a laptop or you can buy a device of theirs that is pretty much like a monitor to adjust it yourself without using a laptop. An E-manage allows you to adjust the fuel and also allows you to change the ignition timing.

The MSD Ignition system adds more spark & allows you to change the ignition timing.

These are pretty much your only ways of changing fuel consumption or ignition timing without using a standalone system.

Like I said before, neither of these options (unless you want more spark with the MSD Ignition) is necessary untill you start to be come more heavily modified (atleast open up your motor). Even when I had a full exhaust & air upgrades, fuel wasn't an issue.

Good Luck to you...hope this has helped.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, August 05, 2005 2:14 AM
I am about to run a 100 shot and I also want to try and pull some more ponies out without spending thousands. This car is just my daily driver. I have a cold air, exhaust, hedder, and soon nitrous but just looking for other simple kind of upgrades.
Friday, August 05, 2005 2:36 AM
Ecoterror 03 wrote:I am about to run a 100 shot and I also want to try and pull some more ponies out without spending thousands. This car is just my daily driver. I have a cold air, exhaust, hedder, and soon nitrous but just looking for other simple kind of upgrades.

Before you jump onto a 100 shot, do alot of research and I would suggest progressively working up to a 100 shot. There is alot of pre-cautions to doing nitrous. You have to make sure you have the right fuel amount (if you have a wet shot you shouldn't that much issues). If your running a 100 shot constantly, you might want to upgrade your fuel pump. A dry shot, you'll definitely need some type of fuel management to tell how much fuel you'll need.

All I'm saying is don't rush into nitrous. Do lots of research before hand.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:50 AM
I know more than you think I just hate typing so I am always brief. I havent really cared about my cavy till recently. I have been spending all my time and money on my crx. I just want to know who sells stuff for the ecotec. I know there isnt alot.
Saturday, August 06, 2005 3:22 AM
Ecoterror 03 wrote:I know more than you think I just hate typing so I am always brief. I havent really cared about my cavy till recently. I have been spending all my time and money on my crx. I just want to know who sells stuff for the ecotec. I know there isnt alot.

I didn't mean to insult your intelligence or anything but I'm just talking from experience of seeing people run that high of a shot. It's just very risky...that's all.

You can check out these sites for parts:

www.rsmracing.com
www.jbodyperformance.com
www.definedparts.com
www.aplusperformance.com
www.rksport.com
www.modified-motorsport.com
www.carcustoms.net

There are many more...if you need anymore help, just ask.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search