The Cobalt is slower than the Cavalier.. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Cobalt is slower than the Cavalier..
Saturday, August 13, 2005 2:46 PM
I cant quite remember which car magazine it was (only that I saw it last month), but they tested a 4-door Cobalt against a bunch imports (170 hp-Toyota Corolla, etc) and it ran 0-60 in 8.5 secs as a 5-speed manual. Consumer Reports ran a 4-door 2004 Cavalier with an automatic and it ran 0-60 in 8.2 secs.

After reading a bit, the 2005 Cobalt is a good 200+ lbs heavier than the equivalent 2004 Cavalier. Granted the Delta platform is a huge improvement over the J-body as far as stiffness, couldnt GM kept the weight the same??

"...nevermind maneuvers lieutenant, just go straight at them!"
-Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar

Re: The Cobalt is slower than the Cavalier..
Saturday, August 13, 2005 3:24 PM
hate to tell you thats old news

alot of us knew the cobalt is a heavy pig , why you think the SS S/C is running times not alot faster than the 2.4 or eco 's with 5spds

Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:55 PM
Cobalt's also have pretty bad gas mileage too.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 11:02 PM
my friends base model 5 speed cobalt , was dead even with my 04 LS Sport with intake and catback.

It was pretty surprised , and we went from a 50 roll like 10 times , so its legit .

Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:24 PM
.JeRsEy KiD.* wrote:my friends base model 5 speed cobalt , was dead even with my 04 LS Sport with intake and catback.

It was pretty surprised , and we went from a 50 roll like 10 times , so its legit .

rollin on the street from 50mph doesnt make it legit...put it on the track an get slips an then its legit lol

Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:27 PM
I didnt mean it like that ... haha .

I meant it like , one of us didn't mess up or anything.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:30 PM
i raced a eco cav coupe auto with my base 5 speed from a stop to about 95 and he was probably half car behind me, i have an intake thats it, and heavy ass 18's

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies
Monday, August 15, 2005 1:11 AM
The oil companies pay GM to make gas-guzzlers.

Right?

Monday, August 15, 2005 5:48 AM
I found this out running one of them down in the back roads around Elkridge. He was
in front ( brand new Cobalt ) I was right on his ass ( 04 cav intake and exhaust ) He
couldn't get away from me but I had to let off quite a few times or I would have driven thru him.

No it wasn't an SS I may be crazy but I'm not stupid.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, August 15, 2005 6:10 AM
same engine in a heavier car. who would have thunk it?

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, August 15, 2005 12:41 PM
Who knew?

Monday, August 15, 2005 1:14 PM
I heard the cobalt SS handles better then almost any other FWD car out on the market today...Is handling a factor when people buy these things as well ????

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Monday, August 15, 2005 1:31 PM
The SS is a diferent animal all togther. The struts, springs, brakes, bushings, swaybar,
tires all different then a regular Cobalt they are faster then a corvette in a slolum corse
and pull higher G's on the skid pad the a Vette also. The 60-0 stopping is the same as a Lamborhini Galardo so yeah I'd say they handle pretty good.

Monday, August 15, 2005 4:14 PM
Since I own one i will chime in with my input. Pretty bad gas mileage, maybe you should own one. I get 34mpg -mixed city and hwy. I get 42 mpg at 63 mph. MIne is an auto/ 4dr. base model. That's pretty good gas mileage if you ask me. Not everyone beats the piss out of there cars like car and driver.

No one can build a $10k lumberwagon like Chevy can.

It's not what you know, It's what you do.
Monday, August 15, 2005 5:14 PM
jackalope wrote:The SS is a diferent animal all togther. The struts, springs, brakes, bushings, swaybar,
tires all different then a regular Cobalt they are faster then a corvette in a slolum corse
and pull higher G's on the skid pad the a Vette also. The 60-0 stopping is the same as a Lamborhini Galardo so yeah I'd say they handle pretty good.

The cobalt SS skid pad numbers are 0.88g's the corvet is in the high 0.97 g's, it is not going to out run the corvet straight line or slolum.

New sig in the works
Monday, August 15, 2005 6:41 PM
Whitecav01, I'm sorry I don't know where your getting your info from but I was quoteing Road and Track and Car and Driver magizines tests they did on the SS. And acording to them The only Corvette that does the sloum any faster is the Z-06. I remember these stats as I have arguedthem before to people who do not believe it to be true. If you like tomorrow when I get to work I can give you the exact quote and the month the magizine was published since for some reason your all hung up on the magic word PROOF.
No problem I can give it to you if you would like. Just ask I have no problem educating
anyone at anytime. Just say the word oh ye doubter of the truth.

Monday, August 15, 2005 6:45 PM
BoltZ22 wrote:same engine in a heavier car. who would have thunk it?

hehehhe

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Monday, August 15, 2005 6:55 PM
Man i was gonna get a cobalt in a fe years to but maybe ill get something else either a newer sunfire, an SRT-4 or a Tc but i hadnt heard this yet

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 5:08 AM
directly from the pages of any Motor Trend magizene road test result .
I'll just touch on the highlights for you.

Cobalt SS----- 1/4 mile time=14.4, braking 60-0=113', slalom=67.2mph
Corvette------- 1/4 mile time=13.1, braking 60-0=113', slalom=65.6mph

So it would appear the the Vette beats the SS in 1/4 mile only. Hmm, kinda like I said the first time isn't it?

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 9:59 AM
jackalope.. take a car thats meant for anything other than str8 line 1/4 mile racing..
rsx-s and celica gts will out salom both those cars.

From your motortrend magazine :
2000 Celica gts
"It needed only 111 feet to stop from 60 mph. "
"0.89g skidpad best and 69.1-mph slalom run indicate. "
"GT-S ran 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds and did the quarter mile in 15.2 ticks at 93.0 mph."

so with that said. its not really a great sports car. it just can do 1/4 mile a bit faster thnx to its s/c.

'so it would appear the celica beats both cars in all but 1/4 mile only.'

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/618295
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 10:19 AM
Um sorry but according to the Road & Track issue for september the Cobalt SS runs away from the RSX tpye-S in every test.
Acceleration, smokes it. Braking, smokes it. Handling, smokes it again. Fuel economy is identical but as for interior noise the Cobalt SS is quieter then the type-S.

I don't know about the Celica as it is no loger made. But it would seem to me your statement was made in error. The Cobalt SS was not just built to take on the SRT4
but ALL sport compacts. Now since you like the celica so much perhaps you wouldn't
mind sharing with us the stats it provided its first year being built. This is a first year car that can only get better, Flame all you want but at a light all you'll see is its tails walking away from you. And its just in its first year, give it 5 and see what kind of numbers its turning out.

If you need all the specs to see for yourself how the Cobalt SS stacked up against the Acura RSX type-S just ask. I'll be more then happy to provide them upon your request.

I don't get it you guys flame and have nothing to back it up with. Where are you getting your results from? Making up numbers does nothing for you at all. Please provide me
with something I can read as to where you getting this stuff from.

And B.T.W. This is the best and fastest RSX thats been impoted here so you can't say it was for last years car cause the new one has it beat.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 10:57 AM
since you think the numbers are fake. look up the celica 2000 5 years OLDER than the cobalt SS and you can see the numbers from the site foryourself.
since you dont believe your own source:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_9909_celica/index.html

and that is the stats of its first year being built for that generation
and ooh look its still 5 years older.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:06 AM
Dude I never said you were a lier chill. All I said is this is a first year car and the stats
are very respectable thats all. I asked were you got your info on the RSX since as of this month it is incorrect. I also said I didn't know about the celica but since it is no longer produced it should not be compared. Tests change, instruments get better,
I don't doubt your numbers just that they are old thats all. Compare the Cobalt SS with the very first year SRT 4, or Celica Gt and tell me how it does. You can't compare them cause its not fair to them as the Cobalt would smoke them in there first year. All I was getting at is that for a first year car that costs $22,000.00 you can not beat it. And it will only get better from here. The Celica WAS a nice car and its a shame Toyota decided to get rid of it in favor of the TC but they did. So as new cars go it can't be compared.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:23 PM
The celica is still produced and sold around the world. just not in usa, and fyi this 2000 celica gts review done in the above link was the first year of that generation of celicas meaning in that platform and engine. So i dont see your where your complaining about the cobalt ss vs celica gts 5 years ago is valid.
and sure the cobalt results are respectable but still a far cry from spectacular, if you want a 15 year old car or even 10 year old car with a 2L turbo engine.. like the celica gt4 or all-trac for you americans, it had damn good results in 60-0 1/4mi and well we cant say that exact slalom as it prbly wasnt around back then.. but next ull tell me u cant compare a 10-15 year old celica with a brand new one rite?

for your scion tc, buy it new with the trd s/c and ur still paying less for the same performance and almost same road test results. go look it up yourself

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 9:21 PM
...and in the end, its what makes the person happy that counts.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search