Back to a J-Body - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Back to a J-Body
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:47 PM
Hey everyone, this weekend I will be the proud new owner of a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire, the condition of the car is poor but it runs good, i figure it is a good starting base, it is in primer and a few dents here and there. It has a 2.2L motor in it and I am considering swapping that out, i have heard from some of the different posts on the forum that the 2.3L HO motor is better than the 2.4 motor. I am unsure of the differences but my question is this would the 2.3 work in my sunfire? I know there was some discussion about OBD2 and OBD1 not sure whether this applies or not. I am new to the sunfires so any help would be greatly appreciated. Didn't want this to be a "swap questions" post but i guess it kinda is. Thanks in advance. I will work on my profile now that i have a car to put in there again other than my dead 2.2 Cavalier

Re: Back to a J-Body
Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:54 AM
I'm not sure what year they stopped making the 2.3 HO motor but as long as it's a 96 and up, they have an OBDII computer. They are very hard to find and even harder to find in cood condition because not many of them were made.

Personally, if I were you, I'd swap for an ECOTEC. You can find them cheap with low mileage from a wrecked 03+ cavalier (I wouldn't get the 02 because of the whole fuel system issue). Also you can find more parts for the ECOTEC and it's highly supported by GM (who also has parts for the motor). The 2.3 HO motor is very limited on parts but some 2.4 parts can fit on the 2.3.

To also answer your question, yes it would work & fit in your sunfire. You have to remember that we are all on the same chassis (3rd gens) so you can swap pretty much anything back and forth from a cavalier to a sunfire. Also, I believe they made sunfires with the 2.3 motor in it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:47 AM
pretty sure the last year for 2.3 was 95

Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:05 AM
1989-1994 2.3 HO and i think 1990 -1995 LO the LO has 20 less ponnies, and 5 ft pnds lees torque
Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:47 AM
Thanks guys for the info...so I guess the 2.3 motor was OBDI then

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:40 PM
Ok, so swapping to a ECOTEC, anyone know where i might find a informative forum on swapping a TEC into my car, i actually found out that it is a 1997 instead of a 1996
Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:51 PM
Most, but not all, 95 manual JBodies were OBD1. ALL 95 auto Jbodies were OBD2

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:02 AM
Congrats Rob

Personally I would have to agree on swaping for the Eco motor on your car too, and not because I own a J with an Eco but because you'll atleast know it's realibility and what not. Either way what ever you choose good luck ...

Visit Team JDF Website - Team JDF Promoter

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search