A big WTF.. noise problems - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A big WTF.. noise problems
Friday, September 09, 2005 11:24 AM
Ok, my Cavvy is making some strange noises.

At about 35mph or so, it starts making a noise, and I can somewhat feel a grinding in the floorboard. My first thought was the wheel bearings.

I took it to a mechanic, and he gave me numerous possibilities.

1) Dry wheel bearings (he found no problems with the hubs bieng loose)

2) My torque converter.
Now, the reason he told me this was because a while back, I had problems with it locking up on me. So, we just un-plugged the sensor instead of paying 200 some dollars that we didn't have at the time.

He said that the torque converter could possibly be coming apart.

3) Exhaust
He said this because he revved on my engine, and it was cutting out at a low RPM, acting like it was hitting a rev limiter. Now, I am sure that my car has a rev limiter set for aroubd ~3000 RPM or so, because most Cavvy's do it? He said that my catalytic converter may be plugging up, so I am not sure as to if I should punch it out or not.

He said another cause to the engine revving like that could be my fuel filter, so I bought a new one and am going to replace it this weekend, if it doesn't do anything, oh well.. it hasn't been replaced since I owned the car.

I do have a somewhat cheap set of tires on it, and they do make some road noise, especially on the highway. So, I thought that could be a part of it.

I changed my oil the other day, and the noise got quieter after that.. that's what is throwing me off. I also topped the tranni fluid off while I was at it.

What do you guys think it might be?

1983 Camaro Z28

Re: A big WTF.. noise problems
Saturday, September 10, 2005 4:48 AM
You ned a new mechanic. He's just taking shots in the dark. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:34 AM
what year and model?

Having a Z is close enough to having an import.....
Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:26 PM
1999 Cavalier. It's in the sig.

Just a plain ol' 3-speed.

Why would I need a new mechanic? I doubt he got to be a mechanic by feeding people full of crap.

1983 Camaro Z28
Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:28 PM
probably a broken exhuast hanger or loose heat sheild.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:52 PM
Naa, my echaust system is good. I tightened all of that not too long ago. I had a loose o2 sensor, and tightened the rest of it while I was at it.

1983 Camaro Z28
Saturday, September 10, 2005 3:17 PM
well if you have a 3 speed the reason it sounds like it is hitting a rev limiter at low rpms is, you are hitting a rev limiter. In park and nuetral you cannot rev beyond 4000, so your cat isn't stopping you from reving.

New sig in the works
Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:48 PM
I figured that's what it was, and I think the limiter is set more around ~3000 to 3500 or so. Not sure though.

Should I punch the cat out anyway? It should be safe since the O2 sensor is in front of the cat and not behind it.

1983 Camaro Z28
Sunday, September 11, 2005 4:25 PM
Anyone?

1983 Camaro Z28
Monday, September 12, 2005 5:05 AM
if you punch the cat out .. say good by to low end torque.
take it to a shop with a scanner and pay the $20 to scan and see if the car is throwin codes

Monday, September 12, 2005 8:02 AM
I'm just guessing here, but have a mechanic check your axles. I had a funny noise and I could feel something through the pedals, then the axle snapped and my car wouldnt move.

Monday, September 12, 2005 11:59 AM
I was thinking it was the CV shafts also, and I have already had the codes read.. for the check engine light anyway. It was just a code for my transmission sensor that is un-plugged, I knew that would happen.

And dude, I have no low end torque as it is. The thing is SLOW off the line.

1983 Camaro Z28
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search