Transmission and gas mileage help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission and gas mileage help
Monday, September 26, 2005 2:35 PM
My Cavvy is a 2200 with a 3 speed auto.

It uses close to a quarter tank in 80 miles of highway driving.

So... my thought is the 3 speed is killing the gas mileage. I want a 5-speed really, really bad, but converting over to a manual would be more time consuming, and alot more labor and money.

So, should I just upgrade to a 4 speed, and what all would I need to do if I get one?

And also, would a bad fuel filter cause bad gas mileage?

1983 Camaro Z28

Re: Transmission and gas mileage help
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:42 PM
A 5 speed conversion would really hurt the pocket book, and in the end not really worth it at all. A four speed would deff. help out the mileage, but i don't think that you can just swap out your 3 speed for a 4 speed. Maybe you can,but i could be wrong. Look into it and find out. That will cost less than a conversion.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:05 PM
swaping in a 4spd auto will cost more due to the price of the transmission , and shipping costs due to its weight

the 5spd would require more parts , and some fabricating

both swaps will require the engine harness for the trans your gonna swap in , plus the pcm that goes with the trans

the 3spd and 4spd share the same trans mount , you might have to change the shifter and cable , im not 100% sure on that , plus you need the 4spd axles

5spd , youll need flywheel , clutch disk and pressure plate , clutch pedal , brake pedal (smaller than the auto) , clutch mastercyl , frame brakets (will require welding them on , shifter shifter cables

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:57 AM
i get over 100 miles a quarter of a tank with my 2200 with 3 speed auto.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:49 PM
Well then mine = teh huge suck at gas mileage.

If I go with a 4 speed, its not going to be brand new.. Imma just get one from a junkyard, and carry it with me myself.

Wouldnt I have to get a new guage cluster to go with it?

1983 Camaro Z28
Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:23 PM
ling427ttvette wrote:My Cavvy is a 2200 with a 3 speed auto.

And also, would a bad fuel filter cause bad gas mileage?

YES!! a Dirty filter will affect your mileage..

<>< <>< <>< <><
Bill Ellis
2002 Cavalier 2.2L OHV Sedan (AUG 2001)
2004 Vibe AWD Shadow (May 2004)
Monday, November 14, 2005 8:44 PM
i had the same problem with mine then i swapped in a 4 speed , i have been to kentucky and back a few and i only use a 1/4 tank in 229 miles , so needless to say the 4 speed is alot better , if you do the swap you will need a computer transmission (of course) and the wiring harness for the whole engine and tranny the tranny is all electronic controlled no kickdown cable , you will also need the shifter and cable from the donor car also 3 speed cable is too short ,and your shifter wont line up or put the tranny in all gears ! and you wont get it in park either .
hope that helps you , p.s. a dirty fuel filter will hurt your power a little bit !

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/lman1.jpg
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:17 AM
Is that 80 miles per quarter tank measured by the guage? Maybe your gauge is wrong.

What is your measured miles per gallon?

Only then will you know if somethig is really wrong.

Can someone with the 2.2L and 3 speed tell him what he should be getting?

Thanks - Brad
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:04 AM
thats about what mine got with the 3 speed on the highway but i just remembered that my tcc solenoid went out but i swapped my tranny instead of fixing it i wanted the 4 speed for the gas mileage cause i travel alot !
but your tcc solenoid could be the problem, are your rpms unusually high when your on the highway

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/lman1.jpg
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:48 AM
Old Wolf wrote:Can someone with the 2.2L and 3 speed tell him what he should be getting?

my 97 2.2L with 3 speed auto gets between 28-34 mpg highway, and thats doing 70-75mph.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search