Rear strut bar, need help! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear strut bar, need help!
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:40 PM
Hey, I was going to install my rear strut bar, but before I even got started, I noticed that 2 of the 3 bolts on the rear shock/strut mount aren't bolts; the best way to describe them is like washers with 3 holes in them... Does it require a specal tool? My guess is that gm made it's own socket for it...
Can I remove them? Or do I go to the dealership and have them remove them for me? Only 2 need to come off.

My Sunfire

Re: Rear strut bar, need help!
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:59 PM
I have an 04 Cav and I have no clue what your talking about. Mine had two bolts and 1
stud for each rear strut I had no problems when I did mine. Not to sound like an ass
but are you sure your looking at the right thing?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:59 PM

something along the lines of these? (yes i know they are soft prikes for golf shoes, but they do illustrate what hes describing...use ur imagination, lol)

if so, i havent seen them before. my guess is that if you get them off you can always use a bolt with the same threads when u attach the strut bar.

Friday, September 30, 2005 5:08 PM
only thing i could think of that would resemble what hes talkin about is the nuts for teh tail lights

Friday, September 30, 2005 5:21 PM
Like this!!!

My Sunfire
Friday, September 30, 2005 5:25 PM
damn never seen those before if it were me id just hack them off and use reall nuts instead on the install

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:13 PM
don't hack em off please

go underneath the car, and you will see the heads of the bolts, they are normal bolts, the head of them are at the bottom of the mount underneath the car

the other one is a bolt with the head inside the trunk, all 3 are normal everyday bolts, nothing fancy, you just didn't look hard enough

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:15 PM
hmmm glad you popped up id hate if i had him do something stupid

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:29 PM
Oh GOD those are just the threded piece thats made to the car they bolt in from underneath they don't go anywhere. You need to get 4 longer bolts and the nuts that thread onto them. Jack up the car pull the wheel look up see those 2 bolts holding in the strut remove them and replace them with the longer bolts then you may need to add washers on top to even out the strut bars mounting area once its level put the bar in add washers on top and then the nutsand tighten them down.

Hope this helps you and I'm sorry I didn't even think of those little things.

Good Luck let me know if you need anymore help.

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:47 PM
I have been wondering the same exact thing and i thought that i was gonna go nuts trying to figure out how in the hell to get them off. I am glad that i stumbled across this tread. It has been very helpfull, but what do you mean by installing longer bolts?

Quote:

Oh GOD those are just the threded piece thats made to the car they bolt in from underneath they don't go anywhere. You need to get 4 longer bolts and the nuts that thread onto them. Jack up the car pull the wheel look up see those 2 bolts holding in the strut remove them and replace them with the longer bolts then you may need to add washers on top to even out the strut bars mounting area once its level put the bar in add washers on top and then the nutsand tighten them down.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Friday, September 30, 2005 7:07 PM
oh yeah, just get longer bolts and nuts to install the brace i guess, or get a welder

Hail Satan

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:55 PM
What bar you using? The RK Sport bar I used to have (well, technically, I guess I still have it... it just sits in storage for now though), it came with large washers that go onto those bolts, then nuts over top... this after you slip the big mounting plates over first. The stoc bolts were just long enough to work.

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:39 PM
yeah dude i installed mine no prob if you have any problems call paul wall and he will give you my cell # and i will help you out its easy. its chris c if you dont know
Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:43 AM
i just took off the1 bolt and used that it workes fine just silp it over the other 2 posts

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:13 AM
The reason I said longer bolts is cause I don't like only a couple threads to catch on the nut. That and I found that when I installed the bar I got that the mounting piece sat
crocked a little so I added washers under it to level it and then there were no threads showing at all. Thats why I switched to longer bolts. So to describe how mine looks to you 1st the nut thats holding onto that one lone stud has a washer on top of it then these funky little "mystery" bolts have a washer on them then the bars mounting plate and then another washer on all the bolts and then a nut on top of that. I've had no problems with it coming loose or rattleing or anything.

Good Luck I hope this helps you guys out since it appears theres more then one who ran into trouble with the install. Let me know if you need anything else I'm always glad to help.

Disclaimer: John I wasn't saying your way of putting it on the stock bolts is wrong. I just like to have at least like 5 or more threads showing on top of the nut thats all. Its just my preference thats all.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:24 AM
No worries man.. I just followed the directions that came with the RK Sport bar... and it worked quite well for a year or so, til the car went bye bye... held up to severe punishment on the AutoX circuit...

Once you take the one bolt out (from the top) the metal plate sits flush with the top of the tower, and the larger holes in the plates go around those metal "bits".. so there is enough meat there to hold it on.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:00 AM
For mine I just got some nuts that were the same thread and screwed those on to the "funky" bolts. It's been awhile but I think they were 13mm.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:01 AM
So what your saying is those don't have to be removed? I will try to install it tonight.. I didn't want to get too involved with it last night, I had also installed the front bar lastnight, which took some time modifing the bracket for the computer that bolts to the passenger side shock tower. Then I saw thoes and just said screw it, and I thought I would ask you guyz first... before I just hacked it off...

Chris, if you want to stop by tonight, I'll be home after 5:30. I'll probably go to work on it a little after that.

My Sunfire
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:03 AM
oh yeah, are those round things removable or are they attached to the car?

My Sunfire
Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:07 AM
theyre attached, i think theyre riveted or welded to the frame

Hail Satan

Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:47 PM
Guess it was just the brand I got john but I'm glad it worked well for you. What happened to the car? Sold or wrecked?

Anyway those funky looking things are welded to the body of the car so you can't remove them unless you do some cutting. Good luck with it dude.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:41 AM
i had those, i just went to home depot and found some nuts that fit them, and wrenched em on.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:48 PM
put the bar on top, and use a nut on top of all 3 studs, thats how it works.

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:40 AM
Done and done... Thanks ya'll!!

My Sunfire
Monday, October 03, 2005 3:51 PM
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:Guess it was just the brand I got john but I'm glad it worked well for you. What happened to the car? Sold or wrecked?

Anyway those funky looking things are welded to the body of the car so you can't remove them unless you do some cutting. Good luck with it dude.

johns cav was alittle to hot for its own good , the car was vadalized pretty badly

it was a shame to see it go

now he has some odd love for convertables

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search