Anyone else have trunk problem on sunfire coupe? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone else have trunk problem on sunfire coupe?
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:47 PM
Hello, I have a 05 Sunfire coupe. I have to slam the trunk lid really hard in order to close it. If I don't slam the lid with all my might, it will just bounce back up. Is this a common problem on all sunfire coupes or is it just my car? I bought it brand new and it's always been like this.

Re: Anyone else have trunk problem on sunfire coup
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:05 PM
The Poonman wrote:Hello, I have a 05 Sunfire coupe. I have to slam the trunk lid really hard in order to close it. If I don't slam the lid with all my might, it will just bounce back up. Is this a common problem on all sunfire coupes or is it just my car? I bought it brand new and it's always been like this.

my cav started doing this, i adjusted the latch mechanism and it was fixed. you might try that?

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:13 PM
Yeah, until I took it to the dealer to get fixed

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:16 PM
I've got a '96 coupe and I can close the trunk with 1 finger
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:31 PM
In what way did you adjust the latch? The only thing I did so far was pour a few drops of oil on the latch but that didn't make any difference. I'd rather not take it to the dealer if it's something that's easy to fix myself.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:08 PM
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:33 PM
Did you have to slam it like hell or just a little bit?? Mine will bounce back, but I don't find it annoying, I don't have to slam it really hard. if it break the dealer will handle that...

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:59 PM
I have never had that problem...I have an 2003 Sunfire. Check to see if there is a recall for it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:48 AM
The Poonman wrote:In what way did you adjust the latch? The only thing I did so far was pour a few drops of oil on the latch but that didn't make any difference. I'd rather not take it to the dealer if it's something that's easy to fix myself.

well there is 2 10mm bolts on the latch on the inside. i just loosened them and played with it a bit until it started latching right. one time i had to crawl in there throught he back seat and adjust it from in the trunk but i dont think you have to worry bout that.

adjusting it should fix it, but there could be other problem preventing it from closing right.

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:47 AM
just sounds like you need to slightly move your latch like shadow has been saying. had to do that in my old neon.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Re: Anyone else have trunk problem on sunfire coupe?
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:04 PM
Open the trunk and look at the lid, on each side there are octagon shaped rubber bumpers... These are adjusable by turning them clockwise or counter-clockwise.... Try that..

My Sunfire

Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:04 AM
Mine did this to, two trips to the dealer fixed it, under warranty.

Once in a while it takes two trys to close it, but I can deal with it,

Also to the one poster, recalls arent sent out for stupid @!#$. Recalls are for safety issues only.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:24 AM
I played with the rubber bumpers and even unscrewed them entirely but the trunk still wouldn't close any easier to I'm pretty sure it's the latch.

I tried loosening the two bolts on the latch but the latch won't move side to side even with them loose.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search