95 GT Brake and ABS light on - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 GT Brake and ABS light on
Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:30 PM
I bought a dead 95 Sunfire GT 2.3 w/4 spd auto for my teenage son. It know has a 2.2 w/3 spd auto in it. This is out of a 95 also.

I'm going to note this upfront I dont want to hear about why i would pull a 2.3 and go with the 2.2. Its transportation for a teenager.

When I started it up the brake light and abs light flashed a few times and know it is on all the time.

I also have a green light in the upper LH corner of the instrument cluster that flashes after the car run for a couple of minutes. It looks a lot like the high beam light. Anyone know what this is? I have to buy a owners manual off ebay.

During the swap I changed the following:
engine
trans
engine harness
engine computer
instrument cluster
body module computer
abs computer (troubleshooting)
master cylinder/abs module (trouble shooting)
a lot of small items

The brakes have been bled twice. The brakes work great (new rotors and pads)

I believe this is 2 problems one is the brake light and the other is the abs system.
I understand the the red brake light is tied to a pressure switch (according to the book I have) and the abs is tied to lots of parts.

Does any one have any wiring diagrams for the abs/brake system. Is the harness a little differant between cars? I went from OBD II to OBD I

Is there a procedure to reset the brake light besides unhooking the battery?

I'm looking for any thoughts people might have on this.

Thanks

Re: 95 GT Brake and ABS light on
Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:45 PM
Alright, the ABS and Brake light mean the ABS is out. Same thing's wrong with my car, and I got quoted about $1000 to get the parts replaced and put in by a dealership. The green light that looks like the high beam light is the DRL (daytime running light). That will always be on unless the headlights are on. And if someone says the e-brake might be up, then the DRL wouldn't be on. And the ABS on my car is a pump and motor are dead. From what I've learned you don't need the ABS unless you're going to be slamming on the brakes really fast.

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:00 AM
Quote:

Is the harness a little differant between cars? I went from OBD II to OBD I

only the manuel 95s were obd1 so im pretty sure its still a 2..

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:02 PM
Scott, the 2.2 were ALL OBDI. the 2.3 manual were OBDI and the auto were OBDII so he's right.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 3:39 PM
ah i see...im begining to hate the year 1995...too much change for me too keep up with hehe

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:49 PM
95 2.2L computer is the same as the 2.3L MTX

the 2.2L auto and manual chip will work in the 2.3L maunal trans motor, but throw an EGR code (hmmm, go figure). I have actual experience in this as I ran a 2.2L auto chip/computer in my GT until the new chip came along with the swap.

the 2.3L auto MIGHT have the same computer, with the obdii "chip" in it (LOL "chip") I doubt it though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search