Buying a Cavalier - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buying a Cavalier
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:13 PM
Hi, I am looking at buying a 03-05 Cavalier. I just have a couple questions to ask. What is the differenc between the LS Coupe, and the LS Sport Coupe? Is there a better suspention in the LS Sport Coupe? Or is it just nicer rims?

Re: Buying a Cavalier
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 5:28 PM
diffrent rims i think, and a stiffer suspension

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:20 AM
I think that "stiffer" suspension stuff is a crock of @!#$ on 03-05's

and the difference is probably a sunroof, ground effects body kit, Monsoon sound(?), Chromed wheels instead of the machined face ones..maybe add cruise control to the list?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:45 AM
LS sport gives you different front and rear bumpers, that have a lower valence built into them, and it also gives you side skirts. Will also gove you the same rim that the LS has except that the LS sport rims are chrome. LS aport will also gove you fog lamps in the front bumper also. Basically highst trim level that you can get in cavalier.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:49 PM
Doesn't the LS sport also have a stock swaybar up front?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:55 PM
Not that i know of, i don't think that any cavalier came witha front sway bar. The convertables came with a stock front strut tower bar, if that is what your thinking of.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:57 PM
its got the stuff listed above with the same engine, therefore a LS sport is heavier than a base model. not noticably heavier, but heavier none the less.

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:30 PM
Juicez99cav wrote:Not that i know of, i don't think that any cavalier came witha front sway bar. The convertables came with a stock front strut tower bar, if that is what your thinking of.

Actually I know that there are some models with a stock front sway bar. I dont know which models or what years though.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:37 PM
My 05 ls sport has a sway bar in front.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:50 PM
Chase Thomas wrote:Hi, I am looking at buying a 03-05 Cavalier. I just have a couple questions to ask. What is the differenc between the LS Coupe, and the LS Sport Coupe? Is there a better suspention in the LS Sport Coupe? Or is it just nicer rims?

For 2004/05 (expect 03 to be pretty much identical except for sound systems):

LS Coupe has 15 inch steel wheels and 195/65 tires. 15 inch mags are an option.
Suspension is level 1 or "FE1". Front sway bar is 19mm.

LS Sport Coupe has 16 inch mags and 205/55 tires. Chrome finish was standard equipment, machine finish was a "credit option". Suspension is "FE2." Front sway bar is 24mm. Front and rear springs might be higher rate, there is conflicting information regarding this. Struts and shocks are the same. A rear axle stabilizer bar is included only with FE2, it is not a sway bar. Steering ratio and some bushings are different.

LS Sport also has different front and rear fascias with integrated ground effects/spoiler, fog lights, rear spoiler, chrome exhaust outlet, body colored mirrors & handles, side skirts, and leather wrapped shifter.

Sunroof is an option on both LS and LS Sport. Both models came with anti-lock brakes.

More details here (click on "specifications"):

http://www.j-body.org/library/detail.php?18

FE2 suspension, including machine faced 16" mags and rear spoiler was available as an option on base coupes but not the LS.

The only options on LS & LS Sport, besides wheels are:

engine block heater
license plate bracket
rear spoiler (standard LS Sport)
side air bags
on star
easy entry seat
XM radio
MP3
sunroof w/map light

Is the suspension better? Alot of people seem to think that the bigger rims and tires make the most difference.
Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:18 PM
Joe Kidd wrote:Front and rear springs might be higher rate, there is conflicting information regarding this. Struts and shocks are the same.

Found some actual information for ya

From my parts book....

Springs are all the same. All years.

Front struts are the same 95-first half 99 (part number 22064704) and again the same late 99 thru 05 (part number 22064776). So the front struts are the same for all models within the same year range..

Rear gets wild..

"Active Ride Suspension" (probably FE0) and "Soft Ride Suspension" (probably FE1) use 22064573... and "Ride/Handling Suspension" (probably FE2) is different, 22064593.

So.. different shocks in the rear for Z24/LS Sport...

But get this.... the rear AXLE is totally nuts... changed all over the place... year... suspension level... there's 5 different axles.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:20 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:
Found some actual information for ya

From my parts book....

Thanks for the info, its good to know. I was relying on the GM's published data.

It sounds like FE2, aside from the larger front sway bar and wheel/tire combo, is mostly marketing.

Could the rear axle part no. changes come from changes in rear stabilizer bar diameter?
Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:25 PM
GM never tells you what you want to know... try asking for production numbers

Could be the piddly little stabilizer bar that makes up the different rear axle numbers. There's only one size bar.. 10mm I believe... it's either there, or not there.

I was a bit mistaken on the rear axle.. There's five different AXLE ASSEMBLY numbers.. 95 is unique.. 96-02 have two, 03-05 have two. The "assembly" includes bushings (three different numbers, one for each FE number), and brakes (03-05 are bigger).

The axles.. there's two. 95-05 active ride (FE0?) and soft ride (FE1?) are 22606393, 96-05 ride/handling (FE2?) is 22606394.

So yeah.. I'll go with the rear bar, or no bar on the FE2.

BTW, FE0 doesn't exist for 03-05. But now we've gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy off topic.

Friday, October 14, 2005 10:32 PM
I do know that the rear end has change a bit from the first gens.

The first gens had leaf springs with a torshion bar. The second gens have coils with a torshion bar. The 3rd gens have coils with a torshion bar in the shape of an U. It makes the car lurch forward and back when you have the E-Break on and you move in the car.

Its a toss up with me for the 2nd and 3rd gen on what was better. I think the 2nd gen was stiffer and had less body roll. Though the 1st gen was fun to drive because you could make the back end swing out while accelerating out of a corner.
Friday, October 14, 2005 11:44 PM
Chase Thomas wrote:Hi, I am looking at buying a Cavalier.

I already see a problem...

Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:19 AM
haha, wish someone would have told me that before i bought my cavalier

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:41 AM
Good info. Can you get a sunroof, spoiler, tilt,cruise, or the 16's on a base model? I am pretty sure that on the old base models you could get any of the options but the wheels. I had a friend with a base and sunroof. Also had a friend with base and a spolier. Just curious.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Saturday, October 15, 2005 11:18 AM
Personally I would say dont bother buying a cavy. Get something thats more reliable and a lot more fun to drive. Myself and about 5 other cavy owners I know have had far too many probs. Thats just my view though.
Saturday, October 15, 2005 12:19 PM
only 5 other owners? trying more than half of this website.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:55 PM
meh i bought my manual 97 2 dr coupe ( 2.2 in it ) in late 2001. other then tires and brakes ( btw never get your brakes done at can tire they use @!#$ products had to go back 2 times in 2 months for warped rotors) ive had to fix the front wheel bearings, water pump, and a strut. not to shabby for 4 years and 110,000 km .

mind you my ac doesnt work ( blame it on an accident in the winter and never checked after they fixed my car to see if the ac still worked )
my abs is messed . i think its a short as the abs computer reads no codes.
need ethier bearings, lower control arm , sturt or bushigns in the front
and i need a new rear strut or mount

i paid 7,000 canadian for it.

so thats about 2 k a year. for a car. not too shabby i think .
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:02 AM
DDrop wrote:Personally I would say dont bother buying a cavy. Get something thats more reliable and a lot more fun to drive. Myself and about 5 other cavy owners I know have had far too many probs. Thats just my view though.

I have owned a lot of cars over the years. My cavaliers (I've owned two) have been very reliable. But then I've always done all the required maintenance and I've never abused my cars. We have to understand what the J's are about. They are basically inexpensive limited performance cars. They are not BMWs. For what you pay, these little cars are an excellent value, in my opinion. Personally, I would probably buy another one if GM was still making them. It would be nice if they had a little more power but with the price of gas, the 35 mpg I get ain't too bad, either.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:53 PM
people beat the crap out of J-bodys and cars in general and except the car to last and last. then when something breaks, they bitch and moan about the car being unreliable

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:18 PM
I used to beat the living hell out of my cavy. the only people who complained when something broke were at the dealership. Now that I have come to terms with my dysfunctional heavy right foot, I have a firebird more than happy to take a whooping. BTW yeah people beat their cavys, and complain about it breaking, but it's not like Chevy is offering anything else to beat on in our price range......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search