HEAD REPLACMEN ON A 95 2.3 - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HEAD REPLACMEN ON A 95 2.3
Sunday, November 06, 2005 6:19 AM
Gilles brother like always you give good adivce, i think i might do that, screw the stroker, and save the money to build and boost, quick questiopn the 650 hp 2.3 trs built are they strokers ???

i have been all up and down the boost forum, and so many of those giys just say go witha 3 or 3.5" exhaust, very few ppl mention the back pressuer when pipe is to big

and about mantapart i have heard alot of bad things about them, never dealt with them myself, but i dont think i will,

but what lifters ans springs would you suggest ??

Sunday, November 06, 2005 11:23 AM
You don't have backpressure with a big exhaust. I just can't understand why my turbo was spooling better with the whole exhaust. 3" is already hard to do so 3.5" will harder and cost more.

Like I said, ask Josh at TRS. I don't have much info on his engine.

CRN-99846-16 Those are good springs for the 2.3. They are from Crane Cams.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:59 PM
Quote:

I don't know why but mine didn't flow good enough past 5k. You could feel it alot. As for the 2.5" exhaust, it was just spooling a bit faster. (200 rpm faster) I had no cat so there was not much restriction there. Plus the diesel engine that had it (Mercedez) had a 2.5" exhaust.
maybe the primaries on the manifold where to small.... idk.
on the exhaust, I also have no cat on mine, and all though it did spool pretty quick with the 2.5", it was faster w/o.

I've never had a problem with Karo, thats why I always go with him. (I have gotten a few things from Summit, but Karo is usually my #1 choice)

As for the stroker, the more N/A power you get, the more Boosted power you will get. The only down fall of the stroker is the lower rev. limit, but it still can rev. to 7000...... as long as you use light weight internals, and balance it.

Remember, there is no replacement for displacement......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, November 07, 2005 3:15 AM
The primaries where 1.5" ID. The reason I think it had restriction is where it was going toward the flange. The rectangular hole was not really big. Now I'm building a header so that it flow better.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, November 07, 2005 9:33 AM
this is an interesting point, for the storker, rev limt, also durability is the storker more prone to problem with its internals ??? can it take the stress of a turbo outputting at 15-20 psi ??? also just to throw this out there nay of you guys running of have nos running, if os are you guys running like a small shoot to get the turbo spolling, or an all out shoot ???
Monday, November 07, 2005 9:47 AM
Josh can set the motor up to handle whatever you can give it, and the internals are a LOT stronger on the stroker than on the stock motor, since everything but the crank is new. (and I think you can probably get a racing crank for it as well, but IDK)

Monday, November 07, 2005 4:33 PM
^^ hes right...josh can build it..he has a supercharger kit for it and built mine to handle it down the road if i wanted it...dont think that the stroker cant rev..but if your worried at all you could always cryo treat the crank i suppose

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:17 PM
qucik question scott and if you dont want to post it email me, how much did he charge you for the motor, and what was it exactly i he built you
Tuesday, November 08, 2005 6:06 PM
ill email it

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Sunday, November 13, 2005 2:55 PM
thanks man for all the help. i know you guys said i could use any exhausrcam but what would you go with the ther w41 exhaust cam or the or the same yea but non w41 pre 95 cam witht he .3750 lift as per he sticky, where in my power band will i see it, also i find my auto a bit slugish, is there any reason for that any thing i can try to try ang get here ot have a little more pep , i got a shop that will change my head cams timing belt and chain, and pullies, for like $525, al song aas i provide the parts, what you all think, withthe new head i got a set of unoradox pullies, the new cam, new felpro hed gasket, head bolt and studs, and i have a the h.o. intake manifold the one that flows better if i add that will i get it a bit more pep in the low end
Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:47 PM
wow..really sounds like your puttin some into the car..good pic onthe intake..id try to find a HO exhaust mani aswell..and as far as the exhust cam goes you can use the Ho one.

Monday, November 14, 2005 12:23 PM
the hed i have doen already got with my car, it is a 95 i dont want to have a water pump problem, and since so much has to come off, for the head, the pullies seemd to be a natural addition, and the intake, i got off a guy for $140 a bit pricey but ohwell, but as the pics posted on the org before it is the higher flowing one, the cam was just since the head is being change easy to do with no other mod, i only have one pic in y registry this one is the red and black one, the interior is bone stock but as soon as i get the vinal i am going to wrap the whol inside this is just to be a pretty litle thing, a litlle kick mostly show i found a nice mach who said as long as the parts are they hw eill do it, can the cam or exhaust mani, water pump and chain do you know if gm preformance parts has them cause my boss his wife works for gm , hopefully workout a discount, i will get interior pic
Monday, November 14, 2005 4:58 PM
Gotta say, as a '95 2.3L owner, I am loving the info on this post! This is some of the best reading on the 2.3 I have seen in a LONG time! Thanks from my end also!

Monday, November 14, 2005 5:31 PM
grimraven do you find you car sluggish on the low end, i mean i a 2.5 cat back so it loud and maybe that is way i think i am pushing her but i dont know i need another 2.3 auto owner to drive it and tell me, but on the low end i fell like my 97 2.2 5spd was faster maybe it was the controle and feed back of a manuely tranny, do you over use the gest like launch in 2nd then go to 3rd then drive, is that bad for the tranny ???

for an auto this is all i am doing ther just interior and system kind of stuff,

for my other 97 2.3 ho that is another storey when i get that statred pics will be everwhere, buildeing her from the ground up her name is "betty" betty boop like the cartoon, i know off topic but i miss drivnig her , she my first car and she was my first j-body
Monday, November 14, 2005 7:16 PM
just on a note..(if you havnt done it yet) the engine mounts should help with the slugish low end..quads shake alot and everyone i know that has added the mounts(including me) has noticed a better launch

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:34 AM
mounts DO WORK. my car pulls A LOT harder than it use to, the lower and tranny mounts are all I have right now, but, they do the job REAL NICE. car pulls HARD in 3rd all the way to 95mph (fuel cutoff at 7200rpm) and the car just launches at the 3rd/4th shift, and 4th pulls just as hard as 3rd all the way to 130ish I would guess (I need a new speedometer BAD!!!)

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:49 AM
no it has not been done, an i noticed when i go all out i gte a wicked nastly viberation in the car i can fell through the peddel , and when i let of the gas, it is ok, i got a good deal on the car $2200 for it with the extra head, and rims (question what other casting numbers are the for the head cause i the one i got pnp i think has a a casting number up by the inlet, how long will it be ???

and if the these parts can be purchased from gmperformance let me know if they are worth it, i need pat number, cause i must be a nob or something i cant see to find stuff on the site

but
exhaust mani,
valve springs
valves,
something close to the unorthadox pullies,
the head bolts and studs,
the w41 ehaust cam
engine/tranny mounts

and waterpump and timing chain, (how can i tell if it reallyneed to be replaced,
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:26 PM
i need a linkfor trc or is the j-body preformance, and i would like to read up on the cyro treatment any and all info would be appriciated
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 6:12 PM
TheRaceShop
J-body Performance
HowStuffWorks

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:22 PM
i wouldnt go with the w41 exhaust cam...unless you chiped it i dont think it will work..you can use HO cams on your stock ecm but w41s wont work without a chip..as far as the mounts go they are pretty popular im surprised you have seen a set..they are on ebay...rksport ..etc.im sure other guys know better links off hand

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:10 AM
I have a full W41 running off of a stock 95 chip...... runs pretty damn good..... I wont say that the moded chip wont be better, just saying it runs....

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:09 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I have a full W41 running off of a stock 95 chip...... runs pretty damn good..... I wont say that the moded chip wont be better, just saying it runs....

why? you aren't getting NEARLY the performance you could get out of a proper chip. lower redline, not as good fuel mapping, and timing would also be way off. better to spend the cash and get a proper chip and get the true power of the motor. If you think it's fast now, do it right and poop yourself.

Hell, that motor wont even be fun until you hit 110 mph LOL

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:50 AM
scott trent wrote:i wouldnt go with the w41 exhaust cam...unless you chiped it i dont think it will work..you can use HO cams on your stock ecm but w41s wont work without a chip..as far as the mounts go they are pretty popular im surprised you have seen a set..they are on ebay...rksport ..etc.im sure other guys know better links off hand

Why am I not running a modded chip...... well for starters, its hard to come by, since Mantapart is one of the only suppliers, and I'm not on good standings with them...... and for 2, I dont have one........ I would love to get one, since the limit right now is our limiter.....

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:43 AM
I have the auto and have no problem with pull at all. People find it hard to believe but I can chirp the tires 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and all I have done is added the dual cat-back exhaust. My car doesn't actually shift until it is well in the redline if I keep the pedal floored. Just always the way I have drove it. My philosophy when driving is crap or get off the pot! I have even beat 2.4's in races with a car length at the end. Go figure.
I would LOVE to turbo that bad boy or toss in the W4l as soon as I buy a new daily driver so I can tinker with it and not worry about getting to work. I have had it for 10 years now and bought it right off the showroom floor. I agree with everyone on the engine mounts 100%.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:12 AM
well this car is my daily driver, maybe i am to use to my 2.2 , i dont feel any real pul till i am voer 130km/h. my power band is only above 4500 rpm, it is wired after i change the head(side note the head they guy that was PnP is the stock 95 head casting 24575456) but i guse i got a PnP for free so i should not complain the moter was rebuilt with all new internals ( oem parts) about 80 000 km ago so with the head the mounts the pullies, and the intake, performance wice that is all i am going to do, but i really need to figure out why the hell it is so slow, may once i do the full tune up, i can get her to pull on me, i just need more kick, i am realling getting tierd of the auto, i thought i could handel it but i cant, so much lack of controle, if you guys ahave any other idead let me know i am statring to look for a set og pullies, if yo uguys now where i can get a deal let me know, and i think i have to change mt lifters cause i am getting a ticking noise when i acclerate,

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search