Exhaust - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust
Monday, October 24, 2005 10:53 AM
This is in regards to my 2001 Cavi:

On Sunday, I was on my way to my little brothers football game. A Manchester Cop pulled me over for having a loud exhaust. He tells me very rudely that any type of aftermarket exhaust is illegal in the state of MO. My reply to him was "The vehicle was purchased with the exhaust on it. How do I know if it is stock or not?" His reply was it doesn't matter. "Well, what about the Ford pick up with dual exahust that was in front of you before you pulled behind me? That truck was making ten times more noise than my car." His reply - " I'll get to them one at a time. You are getting a ticket." Now keep in mind that he was being rude from the begining. I ask "Where does it state in the law that aftermarket exhaust is illegal?" Him- "Are you a lawyer?" "No, but it is my right to know where it says I can't have aftermarket exhaust" "You'll have to find it." "Are you refusing to tell me where the law states that just so you can harrass a teenager who likes modified cars?" At that point he walks back to his car and writes the ticket. When he comes back he has me sign the ticket. I asked for his business card along with the name of his supervisor.
He gives it to me and also the ticket. I buckle back up and drive off with my "loud" exhaust.

Now, my question is, does anybody know where that law is in the MO Law?
Also, would him refusing to tell me where exactly I can find the law be submisable in court? When a vehicle is sold in MO by a dealership, doesn't it have to be completly street legal?

Any other info would also be appretiated.

By the way, Im from Mossouri

Re: Exhaust
Monday, October 24, 2005 3:01 PM
I hate to have to put it this way....

If you sit down and look at most state and provincial laws... you'll find that what he said is exactly true.... most aftermarket exhaust is TECHNICALLY illegal. i know it is here in BC... but no one ever enforces it...

The onus is on the PURCHASER of the vehicle (eg: you) to make sure the vehicle is road worthy. Not the dealer. Maybe if it was a new vehicle... but yours certainly wasn't.

While I'm on it... the onus is on ALL of us, as citizens, to know the laws. Ignorance doesn't work. If you don't know about the law, you're not going to get away with breaking it for long... you better do some research on what is and what isn't illegal wherever you take your car.

He WAS being a jerk by taking you over the Ford truck... but chances are good the Ford truck wasn't being driven by a young guy (typical target for cops looking to fill their quotas), and wasn't all "done up"

Oh, and arguing with a cop (regardless of how unfair you believe you're being treated) is going to get you nowhere.

Monday, October 24, 2005 4:35 PM
Damn man thats absolute BS! Just check out the local laws and then if your legal make a complaint to his supervisor. Thats about all you can do.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, October 24, 2005 7:45 PM
ACCORDING TO THIS Your vehicle must have an attached exhaust pipe, muffler and tailpipe to pass safety inspections. So since that says nothing about aftermarket parts, I'm willing to bet if you can find the state law that pertains to exhaust systems you would be able to fight the ticket and win.

Besides, I find it hard to believe that "any type of aftermarket exhaust" is illegal just because if you're restoring... oh, say a '78 corvette, what are the chances your going to find a rust free/hole free, functional OEM exhaust system? Slim to none! You would have to use aftermarket parts thus equaling "an aftermarket exhaust system."

I say research your state laws on-line or at a local library, and fight the ticket. Then when you win, file a complaint with the Police department's Public Affairs. This officer steriotyped you, harrassed you and was out right rude! And once the ticket is thrown out, it'll prove he does not know the law either! Make sure you have all the details of what happened durring the traffic stop, the officer's name, badge number, ticket number, and any other details you can think of. Make sure to get a file number also because if you don't chances are nothing will happen. Then keep tabs on them to make sure they are doing their job.

I respect cops... they have a dangerous and nasty job. For the most part they do a VERY GOOD JOB. But ass hats like this clown just give all police officers a bad rep.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:26 AM
I went up there to make a complaint cause nobody can tell me where it is stated in the law. When I to City Hall they where closed, but the cop that wrote the ticket was stading outside giving my the glare.Yep. He knew what I was there to do. I tells me they are closed and I just waive him off, get back in my car and pipe the crap out of him on my way out (not breaking speed limit of course). What was he gonna do? Go tell the Cheif on me?

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:35 AM
Carefull dude you don't want a cop as an enemy he can make your life hell. Fixit tickets out the butt, nail you for 2 miles over the speed limit, road side sobrity test when ever he sees you. Just be careful he can screw you if you push too hard.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:18 AM
Aftermarkey exhaust systems are technically what anybody has on their car if they have ever had to replace the original muffler and/or pipes. So if you go down to Advance and buy a replacement muffler, you have "aftermarket" exhaust parts on your car. The cop probably was referring to a modified system. But how does he know your system isn't stock? Did he examine it after he stopped you? Or was it just that he thought your vehicle was too loud? This is one of my gripes. Motorcycles are allowed to make ten times the noise of a car and no one seems to care. So what if a small modified car makes a little noise? One motorcycle will drown out ten cars!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:17 AM
The motorcycle thing is because of the federaly mandated loud pipes save lives campaign. I know its bs but bikes can be as loud as they want to we can't. But hey they can't drive in the rain or snow so who cares. Cops like this guys are allways gonna be around you just need to learn the law that way they can't screw you over.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search