Stiff throttle / gas pedal in Cavalier - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stiff throttle / gas pedal in Cavalier
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:30 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and these cars having just bought a 1998 Cavalier. The gas pedal is extremely stiff. Compared to other cars I have driven, it takes a lot of effort to push the gas pedal, and I think the throttle cable is sticking. The previous owner said they replaced the throttle position sensor, so I wonder if that is related.

Is it normal for the pedal to be so stiff, or can I lubricate it to make it easier to drive?

Re: Stiff throttle / gas pedal in Cavalier
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:14 PM
Had an 87 z24 with a stiff pedal. It loosed it's self up after a while, but your luck may very.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:27 AM
try cleaning the TB withcarb/throttlebody cleaner and a toothbrush.car will be a little hard to start on first try this is normal.
Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:18 PM
throttle body cleaner corrected my stiff pedal on my '96 sunfire. Good luck
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:09 PM
I have a 98 also, I don't mind the pedal being harder to push. When I had an 05 rental for a couple of weeks while mine was in the shop, the touchy pedal had me driving horribly for a while, always speeding!

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:45 AM
I had the same problem, my cable also had a hole worn in it, so i replaced it and it mabe a bug difference. After that the throttle was very soft and easy to push.

Pround to be a new member of JCI
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search