My engine is cooked! Plz Help! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My engine is cooked! Plz Help!
Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:17 PM
Okay here's the situation I'm in now:

I'm from central Newfoundland, but a few days ago, I took a trip to see a friend in Lower Sackville, NS. Just outside of Halifax. Anyways, as I was coming back to his place from being around Halifax all day, my car started making very loud scrapping noise's from somewhere near the clutch and it would stall on me everytime I tried leaving a stop sign unless I reved in really high to force it... so just as I took to turn to go out my friends street, the car let out a loud bang, and at that smoke was pouring everywhere from in under the hood. So anyways, to make a long story short, my motor is cooked and there is a hole the size of a quarter blown through the crank case near the oil dipstick.

So anyways, I need to find another engine and It's kinda hard knowing without a bit of help!

I was wondering exactly what years and what engines would work?

BTW my car is a 95 Cavalier 5spd Base Coupe, 2.2LOHV.

I would like to have a 2.4L put in her but I was wondering if thats a huge process or not? I read up a little on it but I dont know a big lot about it.

And also, how about a pre-ecotec 2.2L, would that work? If so what years will, and if not, what do I look for that will work?

I'm really in a rough situation here and since the guy that I bought my car from was a lieing ****head (which I wont get into right now) I'm left in this mess. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Re: My engine is cooked! Plz Help!
Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:41 PM
the ting is that you will have to replace your tranny aswell, then to follow would be the ecu. but this would be the best time, i have a 2.2 5spd perfect condition, i am swapping to a 2.3 h.o. i just havent pulled the motor out yet, but this is the best time to upgrade your motor. thes aer the diferent one that would fit
http://www.ny-jbodies.org/ very helpfull site
Re: My engine is cooked! Plz Help!
Monday, November 07, 2005 4:38 PM
First thing about 1995 engines is some are OBD I and some are OBD II, this is the format the engine computer uses. 1995 is the last year for the OBD I engines.

There are a whole lot of differant answers to what engine is what, but this is what I know
95 2.2 3 spd auto is OBD I .... I own one
95 2.2 5 spd man is OBD I
95 2.3 4 spd auto is OBD II ... I own one
95 2.3 5 spd man is OBD I

Everything built after 1995 is OBD II

I have changed a 95 OBD II car into a OBD I went from a 2.3 auto to a 2.2 auto. You have to swap the:
Eng
trans
fuel lines
exhaust
harness
eng computer
body module computer
instrument cluster
throttle cable
cruise control
shifter cable
and several other little parts

I did this by buying a running wreck so I had a complete car to just put them side by side and swap it over. My understanding on the interior wiring is the same for the most part up into the late 90's.
if you go newer you will need atleast that much to make it run right .
YOu find everyone has a differant take on this and almost anything is possiable with time and money.
OR buy a used engine from a 95 with a 2.2 and take the easy way out.
check ebay if you cant fine one local
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search