Suspension and Other Misc parts - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension and Other Misc parts
Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:58 PM
I am about to replace the rear suspension on a 97 Cavalier. All the instructions I have found declare removing the shock and spring as a unit, but none of the replacement parts states if one has to remove hte old spring to the new shock. I am looking to know if I have to do that or not as the FSM does not clearly state whether or not that has to be done. Also I am looking for a place to obtain a harness for a power mirror that goes from the switch on the driver side to the mirror on the passenger side. Thanks in advance

SR

Re: Suspension and Other Misc parts
Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:10 PM
If you are putting in a new shock, you are obviously going to have to put a spring on it. The question would be, are you putting the sames springs back on the car?
If you are putting in new springs and shocks, you will need to put the new springs on the new shocks.
Hope this helps.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:23 PM
So in other words, what the FSM doesnt tell you like it does the front suspension, is that one will have to mount/unmount springs to do shock replacement in the rear. I know Gen 2 didnt have the springs mounted on the shock. But this is my first gen 3
Monday, November 07, 2005 1:44 AM
S, Roodman wrote:So in other words, what the FSM doesnt tell you like it does the front suspension, is that one will have to mount/unmount springs to do shock replacement in the rear. I know Gen 2 didnt have the springs mounted on the shock. But this is my first gen 3

When you raise up your car, your shock will hang down. You will see that spring is mounted on top of the shock and in order to take the spring off, you need to remove the shock completely.

My question is, are you replacing your rear suspension with OEM parts?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, November 07, 2005 6:44 AM
in order to replace your struts, yes you have to take it out as an assembly. you need to un-bolt it from the strut tower which you can get access through in the trunk, just pull the carpet back. then take the bot out behind the drum. after those bolts are out, you can pull the whole assembly out. if its on oem springs, i highly suggest you use a spring compressor. compress the spring and then take the strut mount off. once thats off then you can swap out the old strut and then put on your new strut. reinstall in reverse order

Monday, November 07, 2005 4:45 PM
I have wiring L & R door harnesses from a 95 sunfire with power locks, windows and mirrors.
I bet there the same, we could compare pics
let me know if your interested
Monday, November 07, 2005 6:22 PM
I think they are the same as well. how much are you asking for them?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search