which is easier to swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which is easier to swap
Friday, November 18, 2005 4:15 PM
well my car engine is starting to crap out on me and i don't know what is up with it. so i am wondering which swap is easier to do with the 97 2.2 engine.

1. the 3.8 liter
2. the eco-swap 2.4
3. standard 2.4

i also am having a hard time finding a parts list for the swaps. any help from the org would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to get rid of the car because i am working on dy, the brakes and the suspension. thanks in advance for those who help me.

Re: which is easier to swap
Friday, November 18, 2005 7:34 PM
1. Totally custom install. Not easy at all. Very expensive to do, at least $5,000. No one has one yet that runs without (at least minor) problems. Mainly traction

2. If you mean Ecotec 2.2L swap, then not as hard as #1, but still a pain. Take everything out of the car... engine... trans... dash... seats... carpet... all the wiring harnesses... and replace them. New engine, trans, PCM, wiring harnesses (for the entire car), BCM, cluster, airbags, brake module, etc. Lots of work, but it's mostly bolt-in except for the trans mounts (unless you have an auto, and stay with an auto). The Isuzu 5 speed uses different mounts than the Getrag 5 speed.

if you mean 2.4L Ecotec... then similar to what I listed above, except that there was no J-body with a 2.4L eco, so you're on your own if something doesn't work. basically, you're going to need an entire donor car.

3. Easy as hell. Bolt in, plug and play... if you stick with a 96-98 2.4L. You could have it done in a few hours if you have the right tools and people helping.

Friday, November 18, 2005 8:19 PM
is this the same with the 98 2.2 as well, does everything plug and play with 2.4 swap with it as well...also will the 2.2 tranny bolt to the 2.4
Friday, November 18, 2005 8:32 PM
J.C. Kelly wrote:is this the same with the 98 2.2 as well, does everything plug and play with 2.4 swap with it as well...also will the 2.2 tranny bolt to the 2.4

If you stick with similar years, you can plug and play the engine bay harness to the dash harness (big plug at the firewall). In general, that's 95-99 and 00-05. There are some differences tho.. in 98 the 2.2L engine was dropped for the 2200. In 99 the 2.4L engine had some changes to it.

But yeah... drop the 98 2.2L, put in a 96-98 2.4L and it's plug and play. The trans will NOT bolt up. You need one with a 2.4L bellhousing. The 2.2L is different, and so is the gearing.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:59 AM
Both the Eco and the standard 2.4 will require you to change your transmission. The 2.4 the easiest swap because everything is plug and play, but will still take some time.

Also, a 3100 or 3400 would be fairly simple since you have the 2.2, and you have an automatic. Wiring is the biggest part of this project. The engine itself drops right in on your existing transmission.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search