3400 Swap 1997 Z24...... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 Swap 1997 Z24......
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 5:10 PM
Well the motor in my Cav. is cooked. I am considering this swap and i am looking @ what it is going to cost, what im going to need, how much work will it take. I have priced it out and im looking @ about 2100-2500 to put an LD9 back in and a new clutch for the izuzu. i know alot of harnesses will need to be altered and hoses but i need to know what parts i need to find...

Now since i began considering this swap i realized that i can get the motor and tranny i need to do this swap for about 1100 or less. I have made a short list of what i think i will need, please add on if you kno whats required....All the info i have found so far the people are using 2.2's so a tranny swap is not needed....

so far...

3400 engine
3400 ECU & Harness
2.2L OHV 5speed Getrag
shifter assembly
shifter cables

keep the list going so i can see what all is required.........thanks...

Re: 3400 Swap 1997 Z24......
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:59 PM
lower dog bone mount
upper alero mount
modified power steering lines
custom exhaust

check out this link
http://users.adelphia.net/~rdbryant1/index.html.html

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/lman1.jpg
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:13 PM
Although they haven't been compared for performance and vibration isolation, I think the 94-97 upper mount from a Grand Am 3100 is the better way to go with the mount. The setup will bolt right into the upper mounting bracket already installed in tje Cavalier, and the pieces will bolt right to the 3400 with the narrow accessory setup.

Also, check into the Izuzu to Getrag swap. From what I know, you are going to need a lot of parts for that conversion alone. It's a better tranny, but depending on the power you plan on making, you may want to consider getting an Izuzu from a 2.2 OHV.

For the hoses and other lines, Grand Am parts will get most of the job done. Also, I haven't purchased this part yet, but I believe the Grand Am downpipe is actually going to work as well. I have been away from my project for a while due to other things going on in my life, but everything I've been installing is a factory part from something. When I'm completely done with my swap, I'm going to make a full list of all the part numbers and what vehicles they came out of.

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:39 AM
^ MUNCI from a 2ed jen Z.....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, September 16, 2005 11:50 AM
Funny, that was my original plan for doing the swap. The question is, for anyone doing the swap, what are your plans? If you just want to swap the V6 and maybe do some minor mods to hop up the power, then any tranny will work. The more power you plan on making, the more you have to consider getting the better tranny, but you will need to put more time and money into that aspect of the swap.

Saturday, September 17, 2005 5:04 PM
the grand am down pipe has to be redone but the flange will work i have the down pipe that has been redone in my garage , the down pipe will hit the frame and it will leak when you are in drive or hitting the gas !

Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:30 PM
lloyd marcum wrote:the grand am down pipe has to be redone...the down pipe will hit the frame and it will leak when you are in drive or hitting the gas !

Hmmm...I'll have to go look closely at mine. That would suck.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:17 PM
did you ever figure anything out about your downpipe situation ?

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:33 PM
my biggest issue with starting this swap in a few months is the wiring, if i go with a stock grand am ecu and wiring harness, what am i gonna have to do to get my stock gauges to work, if its just a matter of splicing the wires then its all good, but i have a feeling it isn't going to go that well. Also the airbags, im assuming they wont be affected, but id rather know for sure

Saturday, November 12, 2005 5:08 PM
keep me informed i would be interested too. my friend done one on an 88 beretta and it flat screams. 14.88 stock!

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:40 PM
need more info!!!! lol, does anyone have any links to sites that this swap has actually been done and runs and what not?

SICK 3G TURBO PICS!! CLICK HERE!!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:37 PM
Well......

I was under the impression that one installing a Getrag tranny into a 95-99 car one of the mounts lines up and one does not..........i think i got some bad information, the rear is close but the axles dont line up and the tranny seems to sit too high.....any thoughts guys ????

i want to use the Getrag as its a more solid tranny, and all my stuff fits it, i dont want to go back to an izuzu.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search