Tech Question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tech Question
Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:48 PM
i have a 96 cav with a 2.2 in it.. it has been giving me problem's he lately.. it will use a qt of oil or so every week or so i have No oil leak i have checked multiple time's and i don't have any oil in the coolant i have checked it a bunch too.. so.. it doesn't smoke out the tail pipe . but it dose have other problems, like it doesn't idle vary good real rough and i replaced the coil packs and the plugs and wires.. also if you drive it hard for a period of time and then come to a light and idle the oil pressure light comes on then you have to rev it a little and it will go away, but it only happens when the car has been run hard, any help would be grate thanks chris

Re: Tech Question
Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:54 PM
So you have an internal oil leak. Normaly piston rings are to blame for this. Sometimes valve guildes are to, more likely piston rings that arent sealing correctly anymore.

Any blue smoke out the tailpipe by chance, usually most noticeable on take off some a stoplight.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:12 AM
rings or valve seals are to blame for this. mine does the same thing when i run 10W-40 oil in it, but when i went back to 5W-30 i never got the oil light at idle after long highway pulls again

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:41 AM
It does sound like you are burning it, but maybe slow enough that you're not noticing the puffs of smoke as said above if you're on the gas. If you can't find oil leaking, and you're losing it, the only possibility is that it's leaking into the cylinder and burning.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:59 AM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:rings or valve seals are to blame for this. mine does the same thing when i run 10W-40 oil in it, but when i went back to 5W-30 i never got the oil light at idle after long highway pulls again

ill have to try that..becouse it seems that only lately i have been putting 10-30 in and it has only been doing it lately.. before chistmas im gunna pull the head and check for cracks or warpage.. then if nothing found um gunna drop the pan and push the pistons out the top and hone out the cyl and re ring them.. without pulling the crank and engin..thanks for the advice that is along the same lines i was thinking ..but yea mine showed up on long hiway pulls..thanks chris
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search