Cluster - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cluster
Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:00 AM
I am looking at replacing the cluster in my cavalier with the cluster from a 1997 Sunfire. Now the shape is the same, however the 97 Cavalier cluster has 2 harnesses on top of hte cluster while the sunfire's cluster has only the main connector on the back. I thought the 2 were interchangable. Is there some modification that must be made to make the swap? Both are 3 speed automatic transmission guages and the only relative difference between the 2 is the inclusion of the tachometer on the sunfire set. So at the moment Im terribly confused. Any help provided is very much welcomed

Thank you,

Sam

Re: Cluster
Saturday, November 26, 2005 11:41 AM
f you have a 98-99 car with the digitial cluster, than you have to have a digitial cluster go back in, but in the 95-99 cars they do not interchange like the 00+, the wiring is completley differant and the clusters are different sizes all together, so to swap the fire cluster into your cavy dash you have to dremel the plastic for it to be centered, and not bolt it down, it will just sit in there, and you need the plug and harness from the fire and you have to rewire the cluster to work in the cavy.

Also in the 95-99 cars the milages is stored IN THE CLUSTER so when you plug in the new cluster its going to show the milage of the car it came out of. You have to take it to a local speedodometer repair shop and have the milage reset.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Re: Cluster
Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:30 AM
The shapes are not the same, the Sunfire cluster is not as tall and a little wider. You can only swap them in years 2000-2005.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search