UPDATE - ECOTEC SWAP info for 00-02 w/pics! - Page 5 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: UPDATE - ECOTEC SWAP info for 00-02 w/pics!
Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:54 PM
wow, my garage doesn't look HALF as filled with crap in these pics as it really is! lol

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:46 AM
So you took the motor out from the bottom? Did I look at that right? I see more and more people doin that, I may take that route as well.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, January 13, 2006 1:05 PM
no we took it out the top... it wasn't THAT hard but it was a bit of a pain

Don't do it yourself, have a few buddies come over to help.. One to man the jack, and at least two to help maneuver the engine and trans out together and relatively safely

on the radiator issue

the griffin replacement I was going to get is backordered for 6-8 weeks according to summitt, and according to jegs not only is it out of stock, but griffin is going under (what they told me)

so I broke down and bought an OEM radiator today. The only thing is its for an automatic.

But thats ok the rad will still hook up like normal it just has an extra cooling section that I can use for something else...

anybody have any ideas? =D

I was thinking oil cooler

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:41 PM
weak.. i expected to see that motor actually blow during a HUGE burnout or soemthing

awesome though

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:59 AM
i'll let the pics speak for themselves...

void to fill

wiring harness

stock OHV TB (left) vs stock ECO TB (right)

Mandy tightens the last clutch bolt

new clutch includes the throwout bearing assembly

even comes with a new clip...

molesting the trans

molesting Jay

seperating the OHV and old transmission for the engine to transmission bolts for the eco

Old throwout bearing destroyed from wear

Good bye OHV.. don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

position

connection

elevation

reposition

Let the fun begin... (nice pic)

Jay lookin hot for da ladies

see ya later...

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:17 AM
awesome man. hope you get it running soon!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:21 AM
oh man jay looks so sexy in that one picture ;P

yay for ecotec! welcome peej today the skwirl will run yay!!

Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:55 AM
i have tears of joy right now PJ and sorry about not comming down yesterday some things popped up. Ill see you at the meet man

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Saturday, January 14, 2006 6:31 AM
dude.....i owe you my life! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE"RE NOT WORTHY!

9-19-05/1-7-07CarDomain
Saturday, January 14, 2006 6:47 AM
Niiiice man, nice job.. LOOKS like you didnt run into any snags during the swap. I hope mine goes in as easy :p Do you plan on running A/C?

306 TQ
Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:13 AM
wow that looks great man! totally awesome

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:33 AM
Wooohoooo!
I can't wait!

PJ will you marry me? That is if it's ok with Mandy.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:31 PM
I removed the a/c for now... i'll probably be a baby about it and put it back in come summer time

today all I have to do is hook up everything... water lines, vacuum lines, etc... its a lot to do but it shouldn't take TOO long...

if all goes relatively well, the car will run tonight

if not, it'll run tomorrow.

by monday I'll be rocking my new ecotec powered skwirl machine and going thru 500miles of hell breaking in the new clutch

Saturday, January 14, 2006 3:44 PM
you made that look really easy. how bout you swap one of those into my 97 for me

Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:08 PM
I was AMAZED at how easy that SOB dropped in there. Seriously, it was easier to drop the eco in than it was to get the OHV out....

But anyway, thus far its been easy, i don't know how much pj got done today but last i knew it needed to have the fuel lines, vacuum lines, and wiring hooked back up, fluids filled/changed and then to see if it actually cranked and started.

Right now, the only thing i'm worried about, which has been my concern from the start, is the compatibility between the eco ecu and the original BCM from the skwirl... So i guess we'll see tomorrow but all should go well.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:44 AM
Looks great! You guys look to have made short work of that swap.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:30 AM
well I hooked up most of the lines and what not.. I'll get pics today if I can since it snowed last night and I felt really sick on the way home

FUEL

I got the fuel lines hooked on, and like I said the feed line hooks right onto the eco rail without a prob... the return line on the other hand... well... you have to cut it as close to the OHV rail as possible, then I pushed it onto the eco rail. Its a nice tight fit, but the line is a little taut. I have a clamp holding in place for now and I'm a little concerned, but not too much since its the low pressure side.

I'm going to end up buying ecotec fuel lines from the dealer.

HEATER HOSES

The ones in the car for the OHV are pretty long, but you can man handle them into the right shape to mate to the ecotec. Like I said, they're long and need to be shortened. But they're on there and clamped so it should be ok.

The hose on the driver side of the car needs to goto the higher pipe, and the one on the passenger side needs to goto the lower pipe.

Again, I'll probably get ecotec heater hoses from GM just since they're kind of a formed rubber and I won't have to bend them as much. Be careful when/ if you do this because if you pinch the hose thats a bad thing.

EVAP

This was something I never even thought of but was brought up by others in some of my earlier posts. The plastic hard lines are a bitch to work with and I can't get the quick disconnected I wanted to on the line (i'm sure there's some kind of tool to push the barbed section into the hose) But I used a rubber 90degree bend from the EVAP system on the OHV to get it to work and the evap line is very long on the OHV so I cut it with shears to shorten it for the eco.

I'll prolly buy the evap line for the ecotec from the dealer too.

BRAKE BOOSTER VAC LINE

This I am going to get just a much longer hose and some plastic bends to get to the manifold. You could run a hose straight to it, but it would more likely than not, bend or pinch.

Like everything before, I'll probably end up picking this up from a GM dealership.

PS LINES

The high pressure PS line feeds RIGHT into the pump on the eco without a prob, but the hose end is pre bent, and it doesn't go in easily. I had to sit under the car where the radiator goes to get enough leverage to get it into the pump and screwed in place. The low pressure line does NOT reach at all. I have to get a tee and lengthen it substantially.

Turns out the ecotec hard line on the steering rack goes to the other side of the car. This I will have to make something I'm a little more comfortable with and I'll post about the results of what I do and how I do it.

WIRING HARNESS

well, the harness I waited so long for went on easy onto the engine. I started at the ignition module hook up and wired around the engine like that. I'm a bit confused as to how the starter / alternator is hooked up but I will figure it out with some more trial and error.

the harness I have, unfortunately is the wrong one. I don't have an ABS plug on this harness so now my car doesn't have ABS either anymore. I was thinking about taking the ABS plug off my old wiring harness and splicing it into the new one, but I may just goto the dealership and cough up the $400 to buy a brand new wiring harness for the 04 ecotec with ABS and a/c along with all the other crap.

RADIATOR AND HOSES

well the aftermarket radiator I bought did NOT fit at ALL. It wasn't even relatively close, I would have had about 4 inches of radiator sticking out below my bumper.

And its jsut as well, I ended up getting an OEM radiator for an automatic. The extra slot for the trans cooler (which I don't have auto btw) will be used for probably an engine oil cooler in my application. It looks like threaded braided stainless steel line will go right into it. This is actually a really cool mod I think.

You get an automatic radiator, and run lines to it for a built in oil cooler for the engine. I don't know how well it will work, but we'll soon find out.

The radiator hoses is the hang up I'm stuck on now. The lower rad hose has a Y in it, and part of that Y is smaller and goes to the bottom of the overflow tank. The hoses I bought would never be able to do that, so I'm currently trying to find an OEM lower rad hose and I could have had one today but strauss doesn't let you order over the phone which means I Have to do it in person later today which means I won't get it until tomorrow.

So looks like the skwirl will not be reborn for at least one more day, and it depends on if I work on it tonight or not cuz last night I felt really sick and dont' feel like pushing my luck by busting ass on the car tonight.

Its going to cost a lot of money to replace all the stuff, but the way I will have things hooked up, even tho its temporary for me, SHOULD work for quite a period of time, if not permanently. I just don't like how things are routed, and in order to clean up the engine bay I need to get the ecotec specific lines for a lot of things.

here's a recent shot of the engine... it doesn't show much and the wiring harness is not in final position yet...

Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:35 AM
be careful about the oil cooler you will need to run more oil in the car if you have the oil cooler that is the only thing that would worry me is determining how much more

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:58 PM
wow... not even an honorable mention for almost getting my hand cut off while the engine was being dropped in... ouch. lol
Sunday, January 15, 2006 4:09 PM
good job man, get er runnin

Yea i spell liek wrong get over it.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:00 PM
Thats what Im concertned with is the heater hoses on my 2.4 swap. I thought about usingmy 2.2 hoses, but Ill just buy the 2.4 ones just to be safe..

Thanks for the update. Hope u get the kinks worked out.

306 TQ

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:18 PM
nice job PJ and all that helped ya. I realy would love to do an eco swap but I think ill keep my 2200 and buy another cav with an eco already in it

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:42 PM
Quote:

be careful about the oil cooler you will need to run more oil in the car if you have the oil cooler that is the only thing that would worry me is determining how much more

its called a dipstick Phil

Quote:

jill s.
Today 5:58 PM

wow... not even an honorable mention for almost getting my hand cut off while the engine was being dropped in... ouch. lol

I keep forgetting you're even a member here and we didn't almost cut off ur hand !

anyway, update

I bought all the hoses and what not to fully hook up the fuel lines, evap lines, power steering lines (low pressure had to be extended like 3 feet), and the brake booster. I installed the OEM radiator, and I cut up the OHV hoses to hook up the new rad to the new engine (the hoses I bought wouldn't work... not maleable enough and they're metal so they would spark (too close to alternator)

I did manage to save myself having to get a stock lower rad hose by hacking up the one from the OHV and I managed to seperate the Y peice so I saved myself $80 and a big headache ordering it from the auto store (I'm at work all day and can't get there)

basically all I have left is hooking up the radiator and solving a problem with the throttle cable (you push the gas down all the way, it doesn't open the throttle body all the way). I'm not too concerned tho.

Anyway, onto the pics. I have used EVERYTHING from the OHV to hook up the ecotec to the chassis of my cavalier. I've only bought some hoses for extensions, or fittings to add more hosing. Like I said before I will be replacing everything with OEM hoses for the ecotec, but until then this doesn't look that pretty, but it will work.

PICS:

OHV fuel lines... one works, the other one you need to use a Fuel Injection clamp on.. cut as close to the OHV rail as possible, then use whats left to put on the eco rail.

you can see the heater hoses are a little long, but they work

This Y peice is needed... so hack the clamp rings away with a saw or a grinding wheel, and pull the hoses away to reveal...

...This peice. It goes into the lower rad hose between the engine and rad. The smaller peice goes to the bottom of the overflow bottle. The side with two openings should be on the side closest to the engine.

Its a cluttered mess, but everything is hooked up right and it will work.

A shot of how long the throttle cable is

More mess... but everything here is hooked up. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is the FPR vacuum hook up... I have a mysterious hook up coming from the body of the car and I hooked them together.. but I have a feeling that isn't right. But there's no obvious spot on the throttle body or intake manifold for the FPR to be hooked to... I'll have to investigate on LambOfGoddess' car.

I can taste ecotec power coming my way...

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:56 PM
PJ, your the man. that thing better be up and running for saturdays meet, im dying to see it in person!! im drivin out from long island...you better be there!!

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:38 PM
hey man on the fpr the hose connects to the intake piping.....so it connects before the throttle body,

For a spot to hook it up on the manifold there are 2 little vacumm nubs to the left of the throttle body and down a lil bit. They are capped off w/ rubber pieces. just pull one off and your good to go.

good job man lets see it crank though

Yea i spell liek wrong get over it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search