Noisy engine - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noisy engine
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:01 PM
need help here ive got a 2000 sunfire gt ,the engine is noisy from the passenger side when i drive it sounds like the valves are clacking .but i was sure its from the timing chain area but now im not sure anymore ,i replaced the timing tensioner and shoe as they call it. now listening with my stethascope i think it maybe in the head area near the chain .any suggestions before i go further i have 2 more plans before i tear the engine apart .

sparky's fire

Re: Noisy engine
Monday, October 24, 2005 5:57 PM
if you do not reset that tensioner correctly it will make a loud chatter sound. get acess to a program called shopkey5 or alldata and get the service info for resetting the tensioner and try to reset it again. you my might be able to go to a gm dealer and they might give you the service info.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:33 PM
the tensioners are brand new so i just installed them without poping them like it says to do .i think it was a gm tech that told me to put in it and then crank the engine over to build pressure ,it seems to hold ,but still makes this weird noise when it start every once in a while.

sparky's fire
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:34 PM
same thing here, I got the tensioners changed out to and also oil pump pressure is good and still the same .So we have the same thing going on. thanks

I have 01 cavi z24, well my timing chain makes a cliking noise when it has warmed up also it stops when I move the stering wheel. Is there any one out there who can help me or any recalls u have herd of ,thanks
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:03 AM
Did you change your spark plugs lately? Because i had the same loud "ticking"
if so then check to make sure they are all still torqued down correctly.
I know it sounds dumb but i went through months of mechanics telling me that timing chain, tensionser etc was the problem. so i brought it into a mechanic and they found that the sound was in the middle of the engine (like yours.)
all they did is regap and torque my spark plugs back in and she purred lol.
so the ticking noise was air being forced through my spark plugs during compression lol.
so make sure it isnt some dumb problem like I had lol.
I saved 600 dollars for a 10 min fix.
Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:04 PM
had the same prob a while back when my timing chain was due for replacement. i changed the chain and tensioner and never heard it again. oh and btw if you dont reset that tensioner right you will snap the chain and you will bend valves. i know cause it happened when i ignored the noise for to long.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search