95 2.2 head removal - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 2.2 head removal
Thursday, November 24, 2005 12:44 PM
OK Guys. I am pulling the head on my 2.2 OHV. The upper plenum is off. Header is off. The front accessory bracket is off. I have taken everything off the power steering pump as shown in my Hayne's manual (the one bolt right to the upper right of the pulley and the 3 bolts inside the pulley). It won't come loose. The head is loose on the driver side and on the passenger side. I feel it being hung up on something to the rear (like possibly beneath the lower intake manifold). Is there anything I am forgetting that was not in the Hayne's manual?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Re: 95 2.2 head removal
Thursday, November 24, 2005 2:33 PM
There is a metal bar that is connected to the bottom intake plenum that holds the bracket as well a a bolt somewhere back there. Can't remember exactly where but it is there.

Hope this helps
Thursday, November 24, 2005 3:30 PM
I noticed the bracket that is directly below the power steering resavoir but I'm not sure whether that is it or not. It looks REAL fun getting to it without a lift.

Friday, November 25, 2005 2:43 PM
So I got a better look at this f'ing bracket and this is no fun whatsoever. I am wondering wtf is wrong with GM's design team on this one. Anyone else who has pulled a head with the motor still in the car... how the @!#$ did you get the bracket off? It looks right now like I'm going to have to pull the axles and lift the motor out of the car... which I don't want to do. Too much F'ing work just to take off the F'ing cylinder F'ing head.

Friday, November 25, 2005 6:19 PM
Whoa! Don't pull the engine if you don't have to! I didn't pull my engine, I know that much. I'll take a look tomorrow to try to jog my memory. I can't remember right off hand how I did it, but I'll look for you.

BTW, You're talking about the large black bracket that connects the head to the upper motor mount, correct?

Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:28 AM
Nope, I am talking about a bracket on the back side of the motor that connects the power steering pump to the lower intake manifold and the head. My Chilton's manual shows the bracket with one bolt directly above the oil filter, another about 5 inches above, and another that goes UP, into the intake manifold I am guessing. I'm going to attach a ratchet strap to the water pump or somewhere tomorrow and rock the motor foward about three or four inches, enough to get back there and get as many as I can.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 2:13 PM
I don't remember if i used three extensions to get it or used a small ratchet and somebody with thin arms. And if you're going to rock the engine forward might as well do that cuz you're going to have to take off the motor mounts. Just use one of those stand up jacks on a level surface toward the back middle of your oil pan and jack up and move engine forward as needed. hope this helps
Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:10 AM
I left the bottom mount attached, got a ratchet strap aroud the water pump, pulled the motor forward about 3 inches, pulled the bracket, moved the water pump aside, pulled the fuel lines off the lower intake manifold, and off came the head. Thanks for your help guys. The only thing I am worried about is the black vacum thing that clips on to the top of the throttle body on the upper plenum... those @!#$ty plastic vacum lines broke off in several spots. anyone have any remedies?

Sunday, November 27, 2005 10:02 AM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote: those @!#$ty plastic vacum lines broke off in several spots. anyone have any remedies?

turn up the boost?

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:40 PM
Adler wrote:
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote: those @!#$ty plastic vacum lines broke off in several spots. anyone have any remedies?

turn up the boost?

i'm not boosted yet you goofball. Hell this motor will never see boost. The next motor on the other hand... well of course you know I talk to you like every night.

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:29 PM
I took the head to the machine shop today. We couldn't get the spark plug out in the garage so I figured I'd let the machine shop have a try at it. Car has been dead 2 weeks today lol. Probably one more week. Anyways. So we got the head up on the mill and drilled out the plug. The threads were @!#$. After drilling it out, they tapped it again with the original thread pitch and test fit another spark plug in. It holds. They also resurfaced the head for me so it's all ready to go back on the car, hopefully this weekend.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:28 AM
It's good to hear everything's working out for you. Sorry I didn't check on that bracket for you, but it has rained since Friday night here. It looks like you figured it out anyway. Good luck with the rest of it!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:45 PM
I eventually got a hold of a dealership that faxed me a back view of the head diagram with a good view of the bracket and that helped BIG time in getting it done. The head is reassembled with new EGR gaskets, everything is back together and ready go back in.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:06 PM
I always leave the intake and exhaust manifolds in place it is so much easier IMO
Takes about 1.5 hours to take apart, about 2 to put back, cause it can be a bit tricky

hopfully I am not owned by car domain

Friday, December 02, 2005 1:27 PM
when ever i did mine it took me and a friend 6 hours to do it

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And For that 11 sec or less it takes me to devour one I am free.
Saturday, December 03, 2005 12:36 AM
It's amazing. I just noticed today that when I shut the motor off when I pulled it into the garage, it was at the PERFECT spot where all four pistons are at the exact same height. What are the odds? Today I retapped the head bolt holes and cleaned off all surfaces, and cleaned off the top of the pistons, fit the studs back into the intake manifold. Hopefully I'll have it running tomorrow.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 2:09 PM
I always pulled off the lower intake manifold first...had to find someone with thin arms though. As far as the vacuum lines go, tap the hole under the thing and thread a brass fitting in, then branch off that with rubber tubing.
Now I have a question though...what is the thin white plastic tube for? It's sitting on the floor of my garage, and I can't remember if it's for the HVAC or what...I remember it comes off the back of the intake plenum and goes through the firewall, but that's all...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, December 04, 2005 6:47 AM
OHV notec wrote:I always pulled off the lower intake manifold first...had to find someone with thin arms though. As far as the vacuum lines go, tap the hole under the thing and thread a brass fitting in, then branch off that with rubber tubing.
Now I have a question though...what is the thin white plastic tube for? It's sitting on the floor of my garage, and I can't remember if it's for the HVAC or what...I remember it comes off the back of the intake plenum and goes through the firewall, but that's all...

I couldn't figure out what that white tube with the angled boot was for either lol. I don't remember what I pulled it off of.

Monday, December 05, 2005 6:34 AM
It's alive. She lives. Thank god. 3 Weeks EXACTLY

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search