swapping cluster? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swapping cluster?
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:26 PM
I want to know exactly and how and what is involved to swap a sunfire cluster in a cavalier both are 1995/1999 models

I know i need a passlock relearn but what about the cluster connector pin?

Re: swapping cluster?
Monday, December 12, 2005 7:21 PM
You have to re-pin the cluster connector. I don't have the diagrams, sorry. Just a 2000 service manual.

I don't know if it makes a difference going from manual to digital odometer. Try it, then tell us :0

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:52 AM
you cant go from analog to digi odos
the analog(manual) is stored int he cluster and the digi is in the cars comp
wont work
however 2000+ swaps are plug and play
YAY

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:33 AM
there were analog sunfire cluster if i remeber well im pretty sure my cousin 1995 GT was analog!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:57 AM
I believe the pre 2000 cluster are store the miles, 2000+ (when BCM's came into play) the miles got stored there.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:19 PM
John Higgins wrote:I believe the pre 2000 cluster are store the miles, 2000+ (when BCM's came into play) the miles got stored there.

Bingo. Just because its a digital reading, doesn't mean its stored in a BCM. Only 2000+ can store the info in the BCM.

John and I are in disagreement though, he thinks you can just repin the harness, I don't think so because the Sunfires and Cavaliers have a different number of wires going into the plug. Also, the Sunfire cluster is a different shape than the cavalier one in years 95 through 99.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:45 PM
Shifted wrote:
John Higgins wrote:I believe the pre 2000 cluster are store the miles, 2000+ (when BCM's came into play) the miles got stored there.

Bingo. Just because its a digital reading, doesn't mean its stored in a BCM. Only 2000+ can store the info in the BCM.

John and I are in disagreement though, he thinks you can just repin the harness, I don't think so because the Sunfires and Cavaliers have a different number of wires going into the plug. Also, the Sunfire cluster is a different shape than the cavalier one in years 95 through 99.

I've talked to people that have done it successfully... so... it must be possible I'll have to find my notes and figure out what pins are different. There's no reason that it would be that different between the two.

95-99 the cluster controls a whole wack of stuff... 00+ the BCM takes that job, and the cluster is just a cluster.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:52 PM
in 95-99 btwn cav and fire, the clusters arent the same shape, it can be done tho, it'll just take a lil more time than dropin the new one in
not sure bout the wiring tho

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:45 PM
i know theyre not the exact same shape but the mod's required to fit it in a cavy dash is minimal thats why im considering it, the only thing scaring me is the electrical part!

john if you can find a diagram telling winch cav wire becomes wich sunfire wire i would really appreciate!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search