Exhaust - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:27 PM
I need some advice. I am looking to redue my exhaust system and I am not sure what I want to put on. I am thinking about going with the Pacesetter Header, but the rest of the system I am not sure. Any advice anyone?

Re: Exhaust
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:07 PM
Go Magnaflow, spend the extra money for the kit. Mine cost me $500 or something, sounds really good, not the hornet noise.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:33 AM
There's alot you can do, you just have to look around and see what you like. If you're set on a full exhaust, a Pacesetter Ceramic Coated header is a great buy, get a high-flow cat (I'd suggest Magnaflow), and a quality cat-back.

Like Chris said, you can't go wrong with a Magnaflow cat-back. Borla and RKSport wouldn't be bad choices either. A custom bent exhaust at a local shop would be much cheaper than buying a full setup. Pick out a muffler you like, a resonator (depending on preference), and have a shop bend your pipes.

Personally, I'd go with a Pacesetter ceramic coated header, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, 25" resonator, and a Magnaflow cat-back. I currently have a dual exit Magnaflow cat-back and it sounds great (but I don't have a resonator).

Hope this helps and good luck, bro.

Blown.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:03 AM
You don't have to get the Magnaflow system you can do custom and i went to a excellent shop that all the work was less than $200 but i got a hook up as well. The $200 included me buying my Camaro Dynomax Superturbo mufller resonator and High flow Cat.

I have a Pacesetter header custom 2.5" down pipe, high flow cat, 29" resonator, and a Dynomax Muffler for a Camaro and tips. SOunds great everyone that hears it loves it and not only sport compact people. I would go custom. Save you a bunch of money plus you get what you want. Magnaflow is ok.I like Dynomax, if you want straight through type design the Utlra flow would do you nice.

Check out Dynomax.com

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:07 PM
What exactly is a resonator? I've heard the term before, but never found out what it is.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:46 PM
resonator takes the bees out of your exhaust note. the longer the resonator, the more high frequencies are absorbed, leaving you with a low tone.

for the best performance you should look for a straight through (perforated) core resonator. straight through muffler as well, depending on what your goals are.

i like my setup.

14.82 @ 97 mph
Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:18 AM
Where are the resonators usually? in the muffler?
Here is mine something close to mine.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:30 AM
Some setups don't include a resonator, I don't see it in the pic above. A resonator is like a pipe on steroids, much thicker, and varies in length. The length depends on the sound and tone you want.

resonator example

^^^Here's a real quick example of a resonator on eBay for a Neon. Figured I'd include a link to show you what it looks like. The resonator mounts somewhere between the cat and the muffler.

Blown.
Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:14 AM
ohh, thanks, you've answered a question I've been pondering for a while.
Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:31 PM
this helps a lot. thanks guys
Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:55 PM
No problem, that's why the Org is here.

Blown.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:34 PM
Damnit...I missed an exhaust thread...lol

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, December 02, 2005 9:29 AM
Don't worry, bro; I've got Antoine covered.

Blown.
Friday, December 02, 2005 7:10 PM
Went to a local Muffler shop (FAIR Muffler), and the guy wanted to charge me over $800 for a Magnaflow setup, and if i just wanted compression bends, the setup was gonna cost over $600. He also said that a resonator is nothing more than a glasspack, and will burn out in 3 weeks anyway. IMO he's full of crap, and so are his prices, i can get the Magnaflow kit and do it myself for less (he was gonna sell me the kit, and throw in the resonator IIRC). Guess i need to shop elsewhere. What are some good mufflers that are big like the Magnaflow kit, and sounds similar with a resonator?

Friday, December 02, 2005 9:15 PM
Ender_Wiggin wrote:Went to a local Muffler shop (FAIR Muffler), and the guy wanted to charge me over $800 for a Magnaflow setup, and if i just wanted compression bends, the setup was gonna cost over $600. He also said that a resonator is nothing more than a glasspack, and will burn out in 3 weeks anyway. IMO he's full of crap, and so are his prices, i can get the Magnaflow kit and do it myself for less (he was gonna sell me the kit, and throw in the resonator IIRC). Guess i need to shop elsewhere. What are some good mufflers that are big like the Magnaflow kit, and sounds similar with a resonator?

I'm not sure if Borla still has a cat-back setup if you want to check it out. Borla also has nice oval style mufflers but you could always buy a universal oval Magnaflow Muffler.
But your question is a little bit confussing...can you rephrase what you're asking?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, December 02, 2005 9:20 PM
Thermal makes a kit for our car and i hear it sound good and it comes with a resonator design into the set up.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, December 02, 2005 9:59 PM
i've got the stans cat back (which uses a magnaflow muffler) and a 29" cherry bomb glasspack/resonator from farm and fleet ($30) ----- no bee sounds there, even under full throttle
Monday, December 05, 2005 7:10 AM
i have a friend with stans and it sounds a little raspy the sound. Dynomax Baby

all the time

Friday, December 09, 2005 4:05 AM
ive got a megan exhaust for mine and it sounds pretty good and i would go with the pacesetter header its sweet
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:52 PM
i've got flowmaster 40series delta flows and they sound great... sounds like it has some balls to it, but im going to the magnaflow dual exhaust this summer(rksport one actually cuz i like the mufflers better)... cant wait...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search