Looking for an exhaust - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for an exhaust
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:04 PM
You guys have been some help to me so far. Now im looking to replace my exhaust, cuz the stock flex pipe is beginning to tear and i just figure replace it with a high flow performance system

I have been looking around and I can find headers and cat-back systems etc. but, I have never done an exhaust system before. What do i need to buy, a header, and a cat back? or what specific parts should i be looking for?

I would like the get the pacesetter 4-2-1 header, but then what extra piping do I need? i dont have any tools or anything that I can fabricate with, so something that Will pretty much bolt on would be great.

Can anyone help me out?

Re: Looking for an exhaust
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:05 PM
Might help if I mention what kind of car... 2002 Sunfire SE w/ the 2.2 SFI (vin code 4) with the 4 speed electronic automatic
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:17 PM
I would look into the TurboTechRacing group purchase and get the catalytic converter and ceramic-coated Pacesetter header. Then I would suggest buying a nice quality muffler and resonator and having an exhaust shop fab up a system for you. I would also suggest you go 2.25" with the piping, muffler, resonator, and cat. The header you can install yourself if you have the patience and tools, or just have the exhaust shop install it while they're doing everything else.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:06 AM
Matt, you have different choices in headers.

You can venture with a Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Header or an Weapon-R header. Both a 4-1 style and you can find them for good prices as well. If you're interested in the Pacesetter header, do what baby gorilla said, contact turbo tech racing, if you want to check out the Weapon-R Header check out www.definedparts.com

I have personally seen the weapon-r header on a 2200 motor and it looks nice and he got a nice increase in power including with the rest of his exhaust upgrades.

Now, you don't have to get a cat-back BUT it will be your restricting point if you don't upgrade you're whole exhaust system and leave it partial. Think of it as an water hose...you step on part of it slightly, not as much is going to come out of the end and it won't be as efficient, you're exhaust acts the same way except you're talking about exhaust flow.

With saying that, I would suggest a 2 1/4" exhaust system. You can buy a pre-made one or possibly save money by having it custom bent. If you do have it custom bent, do not have it crush bent! Only do compression bends or mendrel bends. With doing it custom, the good part is that you can pick with kind of muffler/tip you want and if you want or if you don't want a resontor with it. I'd suggest a Magnaflow muffler w/either a glasspack (like a cherry bomb for example) or Magnaflow sells resonators...the bigger the resonator, the lower/deeper your exhaust tone will be.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me here or privately. Good luck to you.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search